• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MCWC50DBT Magic Chef Wine Fridge slow cooling

benf207

Model Number
MCWC50DBT
Brand
Magic Chef
Hi,
I bought a Magic Chef MCWC50DBT wine fridge on craigslist. I found out that it is very poor at cooling. It's been running for about 36 hours now and has only reached about 60F (room temp is 73F). It did not reach that temp. fast btw (its' currently dropping around .1 degrees an hour at best)

There is a big patch of frost approx. square shape on the back of the inside (top right - see image). Also the plastic that makes up the inside of the fridge is cracked around this patch of ice (I'm assuming the evap. coils are behind this wall).

The condenser fan is running fine, the compressor is running and is moderately warm, however the condenser coils are basically room temp.

I don't see any evaporator fan anywhere on the unit, there's no visible fans or openings inside the fridge anywhere.

The current power draw is approx. 77W, pulling 1.53A.

Is there something I'm missing, or does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 72

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You have a sealed system problem, can you get your money back? Its never good to buy any appliance on facebook without physically going to the sellers house and making sure the temperature is perfect before you hand over the cash.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake