• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MCWC50DTS Magic Chef undercounter wine fridge Troubleshooting

Turbosaurus

Premium Member
Model Number
MCWC50DTS
Brand
Magic Chef
short story not getting cold.

Long story: Its a masterchef 50 bottle wine fridge, undercounter or freestanding installation. The compressor is made by LG, part/model # MA53LBCM). I installed it a while ago (5-6 years?) it worked perfect. Then I unplugged it while the house was vacant for more than 2 years. I plugged it back in and it won't cool at all. ZIP nada. I pulled it out today and cleaned the condenser coils (they weren't that dirty). The condenser fan and evaporator fans both run without any issues. The temp controls appear to work, as they turn the compressor on and off as I change the temp settings. It can't be frost, becasue it hasn't been cold for more than 3 years. The compressor is getting very hot, in fact its increasing the temperature inside the fridge- but the condenser coils are at room temp. If the condenser coils are not getting warm, there is no heat exchange. I believe this is a sign the compressor is good but the coils had a coolant leak.

Does that sound right to you? (btw, I can hear gurgling while its running) What would you do in this situation? i'd prefer not to pay $150 for the repair guy to give me a quote just to find out I could have replaced the unit ($450) for the same price as the repair if its something simple I haven't thought of. Same thing with installing a bullet valve and adding R134A.

Last edited:

Turbosaurus

Premium Member
There's nothing blocking vents and elec is good.
Condenser coils are clean.
Evaporator fan and condenser coil fan both run good and quiet.
The relay turns the condenser on, so the relay is fine.
Can't be frost becasue its summer, its 80 degrees in my kitchen and the machine hasn't been plugged in for a year!
The readout on the thermostat is accurate, and when it shows that its cooling (there's a little light under a snowflake) the compressor gets hot and the fans turn on, so the thermostat should be good.

There's only three pieces of information I think are still relevant
Compressor makes noise and gets hot-
Condenser coils do not warm up (so its not condensing)
It does gurgle when its on so so there has to be SOME freon in it, right?.

so, freon, or compressor or something else? - what's your guess?