• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDB4949SHB0 Maytag Dishwasher stopped working

Cryptik

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB4949SHB0
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag MDB4949SHB0 that is about 3 or 4 years old. It has been working fine but today it just stopped working. I followed the reset procedure but that did not help. When starting the dishwasher (on any cycle) it will fill with water but then never go into wash mode (i.e. the motor wont start). I can press cancel and the motor (or a motor) turns on and empties the water.

Starting it again, it will fill with water, but after filling, you can hear a faint clicking sound (like a relay click) near the button panel. It will click like this for 3 or 4 times and then stop. Again, cancel works at this point and the washer empties.

I don‘t have a service manual on this unit, so I don’t know how many motors/pumps it has... but it fills with water and empties, but wont wash. I am not sure how to tell if the motor is bad, the control board is bad, or maybe some other sensor. Considering the cost of this unit, I am surprised that it did not last longer than it did. Any advice on how I might troubleshoot it further?

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Tech sheet and service manual if needed!

Attachments

• MDB4949SHB0 Tech Sheet - W10867183 - Rev B.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • Service Manual - W11035362 - Dishwasher - Maytag Chopper Dishwasher.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 89

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Thanks bigbuck for posting his service manual and tech data sheet.:)

Its either the wash motor is bad or a loose connection at the wash motor, or the control board is bad.

1. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
2. Remove outer door panel to access control board.
3. Unplug connector P5 from control board.
4. Check the wash/rinse motor—using a multimeter(set on ohms RX200), measure the resistance between P5-1 and P5-2.
---> If the resistance is between 10-15 ohms, the wash/rinse motor and harness are good. Go to step 7.
---> If outside the range, replace the wash/rinse motor.
---> If an open circuit is detected, check connections and harness continuity between control and wash/rinse motor. If good, replace the motor.
5. Reconnect P5 to control board.
6. Set multimeter to AC volts and remove the wash motor electrical connector, Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power, then start a normal wash cycle then put your meter probes on terminals 1 and 3 in that electrical connector and see if you get 120 volts, after it fills.
--->If you do get 120 volts, then replace the wash motor.
--->If you DO NOT get 120 volts, then replace the control board.

Here's the wash motor for your model you can order if needed:
W10815709 Motor-Pump

I posted photos and instructions to remove the wash motor here: FIXED: MDB4949SD Maytag dishwasher with food grinder - not cleaning dishes

Here's the control board for your model you can order if needed: W11225084 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

Cryptik

Premium Member
Thank you so much bigbuck for the service manuals. These are an absolute necessity. I am comfortable with working with this stuff, but since I have zero experience with appliances, the manuals are needed. I was considering tossing this washer and installing a new one... but I hate to do that since this one was expensive and is only three or four years old. Using the service manual, I did run through the service cycles... it appears to perform all of them except for activating the wash motor. It fills and empties fine and even heats up. It just won’t turn on the wash pump.

I will go through the steps that Jake outlined this weekend and see if I can narrow down the problem. Thanks Jake, for posting the motor removal and test procedure....as well as the parts links. I think I am going to give this a try rather than wasting a ton of money (that I don’t have) to buy another dishwasher.

I will post back the results of my repair mission.

Cryptik

Premium Member
One other question... to remove the outer door panel... do I have to unscrew the screws from the inside or is there a catch to this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On Page 4-4 of the service manual, it tells you how to remove the outer door panel. The torx screws are on the inside of the door.

Yes, let us know how it goes.

Jake

Cryptik

Premium Member
@Jake Thanks again for the instructions above. I disconnected the power, removed the front panel and pulled out connector P5... which in my case is two blue wires next to P4 which has four wires including L1 and neutral. I assume that P5-1 and P5-2 are the wires on the plug end.. not the control board. The resistance across the two blue wires is about 6 ohms...which is lower than the 10 to 15 ohms you recommend. So I am guessing its the wash motor that has a short somewhere in the winding?

If it is the wash motor, is to common in this model of dishwasher after only three years? I am trying to decide if its worth replacing the wash motor or getting a new unit. The motor is about 150 with the sump seal and I am not sure how long it would take to replace. Given I have not done it before... probably three times as long if I was qualified...lol. I know there is a 10-year parts warranty on this unit...but from what I read, the parts are only provided under warranty to authorized service techs. If you have any history with this brand/model and you think its not worth fixing, let me know.

- Ken

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I assume that P5-1 and P5-2 are the wires on the plug end.. not the control board.
Correct, the plug end, not control board.

Yes, 6 ohms is out of range. So yes the wash motor is the culprit.

You have a 10 year warranty on the Chopper Blade, Upper and lower racks (excludes cup shelves and silverware basket) and Stainless steel tub and inner door liner.

These wash motors rarely go bad on Maytag models.

Jake