MDB6600AWB Maytag QuietSeries 200 won't drain

MandrewAhieu

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB6600AWB
Brand
Maytag
Hi-

I’m new here and appreciate your help. I have an older (2003?) Maytag Quietseries 200 dishwasher. Was working fine, but suddenly stopped draining. I cleaned out all the filters and such, but they weren’t too dirty and that didn’t resolve anything. I started it on rinse cycle, then after some time I hit “cancel”, and I didn’t hear any pump running, nor did the water drain. Is this a clear case of needing a new pump? Or could it possibly be anything else (board, wiring)?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We will need the model number of your dishwasher, the model number tag is located inside the door on the tub frame.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I always remove the drain hose from the garbage disposal port and check for a partial clog in there, I see that clog a lot.

If no partial clog, watch the drain pump video when you click the part link to the drain pump below, as it also shows underneath the sink where your drain hose goes to the AIR GAP(2 Plastic hose connections), if you have an air gap check that too.

Here it is for your model you can order if you get 120 volts to it and its not coming on:
WP6-917641 Drain Pump

If your AIR GAP is fine, or you don't have an AIR GAP, and you didn't find a clog where the drain hose connects to your garbage disposal port, then something check the drain pump itself to see if any of the impeller fins are cracked/broken.

If the drain pump checks fine, then you'll need a multimeter to see if the drain pump is getting 120 volts when it should be draining.

Jake

MandrewAhieu

Premium Member
Thanks for your help. There is no disposal, but the drain hose does connect to the sink drain pipe, so I will def check that. Beyond that, I'll check voltage with my multimeter - great suggestion.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

MandrewAhieu

Premium Member
Hello - thanks for the help, I swapped out the drain pump and it immediately drained the water. It is however doing something weird - as soon as I plugged the dishwasher power back in, the drain pump kicked in, even though there is was no cycle in process. I started a rinse-only cycle, that went completely through, but after completion, the drain pump continues to run - it has been running for a good 15 minutes after the cycle ended and no sign of stopping. Any idea what is happening??

MandrewAhieu

Premium Member
So clearly the old drain pump was no longer working, but maybe it broke because it was running continuously? Which leads me to think there is another root cause. What tells the drain pump to run - is it the float switch? FYI - I shut off the water source, and routed the drain hose into a bucket. I can see that the dishwasher is completely devoid of water, but the pump continues to run and suck air.

MandrewAhieu

Premium Member
I confirmed that the float does not seem obstructed, and the relay switch is clicking in and out. I also took the wires going to the relay switch and shorted them together, bypassing the relay altogether, and that had no effect on the issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

If the drain pump keeps running, then your control board is the problem.

What's the serial number of your dishwasher?

If your dishwasher serial# starts with 19 or above this control board is for your model:
Main Control Board 12002709

Jake