• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDB7749SAQ0 Stops Before Rinse Cycle

Chloe Cat

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB7749
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag MDB7749SAQ0 dishwasher runs the wash portion of the cycle and drains, but then shuts off instead of rinsing. Lights are lit normally (normal, wash, start lights) during washing, then, after draining, it sits for a few minutes doing nothing, then all the lights flash, and then all lights go off. When I open the door, after a few seconds, the cancel/drain light illuminates, then later shuts off. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The problem is possibly the control board.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
Control Board W10486463

Let us know how it goes. Do you know how to replace it?

Jake

Chloe Cat

Premium Member
Thank you for the response! I do not know how to replace it. Can you link me to the correct service manual? Many thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't have the service manual for this model, but this model is identical to Whirlpool.

This video should be similar for replacing your control board too:

Jake

Chloe Cat

Premium Member
Control Board Didn't Fix Problem

Hello, I replaced the control board, but it didn't fix the problem. The dishwasher still goes through the wash cycle, drains, then stops. The lights are different, though: now, after the draining completes, it sits for about 5 minutes (I timed it) with the "normal" "wash" and "start" lights illuminated, then those switch off and the "clean" light comes on for a second or two, then all the lights go off. I was sitting in front of the dishwasher the entire cycle, so I know it did not run a rinse cycle, only the wash cycle. Thoughts? Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Anytime you replace a part on these new dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Press start to wake up the control panel.

Then Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

Chloe Cat

Premium Member
Hi Jake, sorry for the delayed response. We couldn’t get the service diagnostics cycle to run, using these instructions or any others we found online. We did flip the breaker for a few minutes and believe we managed to reset the new control board, but not totally sure. During the most recent trial run, the dishwasher ran through the entire wash and rinse cycle, but instead of the clean light then coming on when the cycle finished, the control lock button lit (solid) for about a minute, maybe slightly longer, then shut off so no lights were lit at all. The wash cycle did seem to complete all necessary stages (I always run it with heated dry turned off). Thoughts? Thank you!

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
This is your tech sheet and a service pointer. Good luck.

Attachments

• MDB7749SAQ0 Tech Sheet - W10321878 - Rev C.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
  • Service Pointer - W10732429 - Rev B (Dead or Intermittent of UI).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 93

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

Chloe, now you have the correct instructions, looks like exactly the same as I posted above.:)

So if it isn't running the diagnostic per the buttons you are pressing then it sounds like your touchpad is faulty, like in the service pointer bigbuck posted.

Here's the touchpad assembly for your model:
Touchpad and Control Panel W10811167

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did the new Touchpad and Control Panel fix it?

Jake

Chloe Cat

Premium Member
We pulled the touchpad and handle off and discovered that the wires in the flat cable are corroded where an ID sticker was placed during manufacture. Clearly the steam through the handle vent has been moistening the sticker and holding moisture on the cable, causing the corrosion. From what I found online, this is a common issue and clearly a manufacturing defect. We’re going to try to remove the corrosion and repair the conductors before investing another $120 in a replacement part. Not sure the new control board was necessary, but it’s replaced now so there’s no turning back on that one. Thank you for the information.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes that does sound like a manufacturer's defect.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh wait, is your control panel directly underneath your countertop?

I own the Maytag MDB8949SBW3 which uses the exact same control panel as your model does and my control panel sticks out so its not directly underneath my countertop it works perfect with no issues with moisture.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just remembered something also.

There is a moisture barrier kit you must order if you install the dishwasher control panel directly underneath your countertop.

Here's the moisture barrier kit for your model you can order here:
4396277 Barrier

Jake