MDB7749SBM3 Not Draining Properly

bawill

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB7749SBM3
Brand
Maytag
Our Maytag MDB7749SBM3 dishwasher is not draining properly. We were also having issues with the button control panel. I had an appliance repair guy out and he suggested replacing both the button control panel and the control circuit board as he didn't know which was causing the problem (because of the cost of this repair, he actually suggested that it may be better to just replace the dishwasher).

I ordered a new button control panel and installed it. That took care of the issues with the buttons not working properly. Now we are left with the issue of the dishwasher not draining properly. In general, it finishes the cycle but leaves water in the bottom of the dishwasher.

If we wait awhile (like maybe until the next day) and push the Cancel/Drain button, it often does drain. But there are times when pushing the cancel/drain button causes the dishwasher to make a humming sound for awhile without fully draining the dishwasher. So basically it does seem to be able to drain most of the time after sitting for some time and pushing the cancel/drain button.

What could the problem be? I am wondering if replacing the other circuit board would solve the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Now if its not draining properly, you'll need to remove the drain pump, and check for a clog.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10348269

Watch this video below to access and remove the drain pump to check for a clog or debris or popcorn kernels, etc.

[video=youtube_share;epyFoymiPiI]https://youtu.be/epyFoymiPiI[/video]

If no clog is found, then check your voltage at the drain pump, it should be 120 volts at the drain pump when its in the drain cycle.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

bawill

Premium Member
Okay, so I took off the drain pump - no clog found there.

The voltage of the wires that plug into the drain pump is somewhere around 123 volts when the dishwasher is in the drain cycle.

Sometimes when I push the drain button, the drain pump kicks in briefly, then go to kind of a humming sound. Other times it just goes to the humming sound.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then its your drain pump thats gone bad.

You can order it from the link I posted to it above.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the model number of yours?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Yes, it should be the same video.

You model uses the exact same drain pump as I posted above.

Jake