• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MDB7759AWS2 Dishwasher Flashing 'Clean' and WON'T START

tburk

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB7759AWS2
Brand
Maytag
Well I did some searching, and most solutions to issues as I am having, "Dishwasher Will Not Start", have been answered with something like 'call the repairman its under warranty', 'its probably the control panel'.

Here is what I can observe. So the 'clean' light is flashing 7 quick times, then pauses, and repeats. Start/Resume will result in three quick flashes each time it is depressed, but it won't stay lit. If I press Cancel/Drain, it lights, stays on, then after shutting the door it sounds like it is actually draining, but there is no standing water in the washer so this doesnt help much to get my dishes clean.

Are there any diagnostics I can run?

Can any of the experts suggest a solution or next step?

Thank you.
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tom,

If your dishwasher is under a year old, its best to have Maytag come out and fix it under warranty.

There should be a tech. data sheet behind the bottom access panel below your door that has a diagnostics test you can run.

Jake

tburk

Premium Member
UPDATE.

So the Maytag repairman made a visit to the house to inspect my appliance. He concluded that the control panel needed replacing, and made the followup appointment the coming Tuesday. That wasnt fun being without the dishwasher over the weekend. :( So Tuesday came and went, then about Tuesday evening I did a load of dishes. GUESS what? The same thing happened, washer seemed to stop halfway through the load and the clean light was again flashing 7 times, none of the other buttons would start the washer.

OK, RTFM comes to mind, time for me to pull out the diagnostic chart from behind the kick panel, again thanks Jake. A brief review pointed directly to this issue with instructions on what steps to take next. So the manual states perform this sequence, push Heated Dry => Normal => Heated Dry => Normal within 6 seconds; this puts the washer into diagnosis mode. I do that and watch the washer for a minute or two before figuring out I need to shut the door and let the machine go through the diagnosis. :eek: When complete there is no readout, my unit doesn't have an LED time readout, so again I am stumped on what to do. The manual also stated that putting the unit in diagnosis mode will reset the trouble codes and will allow the unit to perform as normal. I think well, and then begin a load of dishes to test things out again, and it is now running.

Interesting to note, the condition that I am dealing with, clean light flashes 7 times and unit will not begin a cycle, has a couple of possible causes, maybe more ( I already put the manual back in place). One of two possibilities exist for my situation, if the unit detects one of these syptoms in 3 consecutive cycles it will go into 'Limp Mode' (clean light flashing 7 times, etc...), 1, the heating element could be bad, and when it heats, if the unit does not detect a specified change in temperature the unit goes into limp mode, and 2, if the door is not closed completely and the dishwasher discovers this, again it will go into limp mode. Before I put it all back together I did shorten the left front leveling foot (leg, stem--what do you call those things?) slightly which did bring the door into precise alignment with the strike latch.

I will update after a few more washing cycles.

Made in USA.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I noticed on this Maytag model its the same design as the Whirlpool/KitchenAid ones.

This video is in many thread posts here in the forums:

[video=youtube_share;Hv7xOaucH7I]

Jake

tburk

Premium Member
SOLVED:

That is a great video, post #4.

After a total of 4 repairman visits, the Heating Element was replaced today. The first load after the repair has completed, and the cleanliness of the dishes has returned to the same quality as when the unit was new. There are about 2 months of warranty remaining on this unit.

I cannot believe this heating element failed. I am expecting another failure within the next couple years. Is this a typical lifetime for this part?

2011-11-18_HeatElement3.jpg

:D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I've never seen a heating element fail again once its replaced.

Jake