MDB7759AWS2 Maytag thermal fuse keeps blowing.

AaronF

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB7759AWS2
Brand
Maytag
Hello,

We have a maytag dishwasher MDB7759AWS2. I've replaced the thermal fuse three times and it runs for about 20 minutes then blows the fuse. I've replaced about 3 inches of wire as well with the supplied fuse replacement kit. I didn't not see damage to any wires but noticed the dishwasher gets hot enough the wires stick to the black sound proofing material.

Is something drawing to much power to keep blowing the fuse?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Make sure you use the whole kit!

Thermal-Fuse-W10258275--01333489.jpg Dishwasher thermal fuse

Make sure the heating element is not coated with calcium, make sure the heating element is not shorted to ground.

Heating-Element-WPW10082892-01095876.jpg Element, heating

To see if the element is grounded, read between each side of the element terminals to the sheath of the element. If you don't read continuity, the element is grounded and should be replaced.

jeff.

AaronF

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. I have replaced the fuse again and I also replaced the heating element. The machine ran a full cycle fine. The next day i went to run it again and it blew the thermal fuse again. Nothing looks like its grounding out. THe old heating element seemed a little warn but it way use for 6 years. I inspected the new heating element again and everything looks good to my eye.

The only thing left i can think of is the main circuit board but I dont want to keep tossing away money. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Aaron

jeff1

Staff member
Only 2 things left that we have seen is low water fills ( or syphoning or filling that is quiting ) or control board after the heating element.

Main-Control-Board-WPW10285180-01189320.jpg Electronic control board

jeff.

AaronF

Premium Member
OKay thanks. I have noticed the last two times the fuse has burnt out there is still clean water in the base of the dishwasher. I dont know what part of the cycle it is dying at though. does this informaiton help any or is there any other tests i can do to narrow this down?

jeff1

Staff member
Check the water level, should be just under the heating element.

jeff.

AaronF

Premium Member
Yes, the water level touches the bottom of the heating element.

jeff1

Staff member
Leaves the control then as the prime suspect.

jeff.