FIXED MDB8859AWS2 Stops after wash cycle before draining

Breaduh

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB8859AWS
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag dishwasher model MDB8859AWS2. It gets most of the way through wash cycle and then stops with water still full in the bottom. The control panel stays lit properly as if it is still running. Although the buttons light up (and “click”) in response to being pushed they don’t actually do anything except light up. If I wait awhile (five minutes) they start responding properly and I can get it to drain. Drains with no problems. If I run “rinse only” it drains fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Bretta

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Bretta,

Your missing the last digit of your model number.

Here's the results I get:

MDB8859AWS0
MDB8859AWS1
MDB8859AWS2
MDB8859AWS3

We need that last digit first please.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the complete model number.

Ok,

When did this problem start happening? Have you noticed any problems when the door latches closed? I'd first check the door latch assembly to make sure its not cracked or broken.

If that's fine, then it sounds like either the control panel keypad or the control board is malfunctioning.

To help you determine which part is bad, Your tech. data sheet says this:

To determine if the control board or keypad is faulty, do the following test:
Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power. Open the dishwasher door. Open console and disconnect the keypad ribbon connection from the control (at P1). Make sure all other connections are made. Put console back together. Do not close the dishwasher door. Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power. Wait 5 seconds. Close dishwasher door. Monitor the control’s response.

➔If the control board is OK (no longer sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace the keypad if the control board responds OK.

➔If the control board is not OK (still sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), then the drain motor will NOT respond. If drain motor does not start within 10 seconds, repeat or verify that all steps were followed, and then replace the control board.

Here's the door latch assembly for your model:
WPW10404412 Latch-Door

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model:
WPW10199790 Panel-Cntl

Here's the control board for your model:
WPW10285180 Electronic Control Board

Watch the video below to access these parts, Its a KitchenAid, but its very close to your Maytag as both companies are owned by Whirlpool.

Jake

Breaduh

Premium Member
Thank you so much, Jake! I couldn’t tell you when the problem started as we got the dishwasher off a friend and it already wasn’t working right then. 🙂

Will let you know what we discover!

Many thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bretta, sounds good.:)

Jake

Breaduh

Premium Member
Thanks again for the advice, Jake.

We checked all the above and everything checked out okay.

My husband kept suspecting it was temperature related as when we would let things cool off a bit it would begin responding.
After doing a bit more research we decided to try replacing the thermal fuse:

This has fixed the problem and we have a great running dishwasher! Just wanted to update in case it helps someone else.

Thankful for the resources of this forum!

Bretta

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Bretta, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake