• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDB8959SAB0 Maytag Dishwasher water inlet steam rotted cabinet.

Chelleovision

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB8959SAB0
Brand
Maytag
Hi Guys, this is my first post and hopefully I put all the information needed into this post. My dishwasher is a Maytag MDB8959SAB0. I purchased it in 2012. I recently decided to replace my flooring and when i pulled out my dishwasher the side of the kitchen cabinet was moist and rotten. I noticed the dishwasher insulation was also wet. The water inlet seemed to have some wiggle room so i took it apart, checked the gasket, cleaned and re assembled. It did not wiggle any more and I thought I solved the problem. I replaced the side of my cabinet but added a little door so i could check for moisture in the future. Ran the first load and no moisture, how ever after the 3rd load the insulation was wet again. I pulled the machine half way out, lifted the insulation and then ran a load and I sat there and watched to see what was going on. Towards the end of the cycle I noticed moisture starting to build on the black water inlet hose and on the gray housing. It appears the vapor comes from inside the machine, up the inlet and then is condensing on the inlet housing and hoses, which in turn makes the insulation wet leading to the eventual rotting of the cabinet. I typically run the Auto wash setting with heated dry. I don't think its a lot of moisture but where it comes out it doesn't get a chance to dry out before we run another cycle. I will attach a couple of photos hopefully you can see the moisture building up on the inlet hose and on the housing. So here are my questions
1) Is this Normal? seems like a stupid design to have moisture released into an enclosed area made of wood.
2) is there any sort of fix?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if that's normal but I've never seen that before. I don't see any service bulletins on the subject. I'll check with the other techs.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I haven't seen that happen before either.

Maybe Jeff or Dan O. has.

Jake

jeff1

Staff member
Hi,

Lots of calcium and such....you must have hard water?
What is the water temp at the kitchen tap and inside the d/w?
Is there a vent on the door/consol?

Water inlet on side of tank

Unless there is a check valve inside this thing, I can't see how they would stop some steam and heat from migrating out!

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I've never seen it before either. I agree with Jeff, look for a vent in the door that might be blocked and preventing humid air from being vented out the front.

Chelleovision

Premium Member
I can't seem to find anything that resembles a vent, I will post some pictures maybe there is one hiding and i just cant find it. I checked the parts breakdown and didn't find anything resembling a vent either. The tap water temperature is 48C, tried to take a temp mid cycle and got 56C. I feel like most of that calcium has just accumulated over a few years as we don't usually have an issue with Calcium build up but i can take a sample in and get it checked just to be sure its not to hard. Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
No I don't see anything in your pics, nor in the parts list either.

Did you inspect that water inlet that Jeff pointed out for a lime and scale buildup? Maybe it is causing water to splash out during a fill??

Chelleovision

Premium Member
When I watched it run the cycle I never noticed any water splashing just the bit of condensation building from the steam coming back out. I just used my inspection camera though and there's a small amount of build up but nothing that would hinder the operation. Here are pics of the inlet

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
I agree with Dan, I've seen that happen before
Me three....used to have to clean the fill funnels like that one for a build up ( or replace it ) that would just splash the filling water enough to spill some out during the filling.

The tap water temperature is 48C, tried to take a temp mid cycle and got 56C.
Neither are too hot.

jeff.