MDB8959SFZ4 Control panel buttons sinking

howaboutme

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB8959SFZ4
Brand
Maytag
Hi all,

New here and hope you all can help. I have a less than 1 year old Maytag mdb8959sfz4 dishwasher. Works great except the control panels buttons are starting to sink down into the door panel. However, not the entire row, just the right side where the start button is. It's gotten to a point where we have to use a pen to push down to get the washer to start.

Does anyone know what the deal is? Since the washer works great, I can assume the electronics are fine and that for some reason the panel is not against the top edge. How do I fix this? I see screws (do I need a special driver?) for the entire door panel in the back (inside) but not specifically for the control panel areas. Pic below.

(Asking since I don't believe this is covered under the warranty.)

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20190525_102825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Call for warranty service

Asking since I don't believe this is covered under the warranty.
Whatever is holding that switch mechanism may have broken on one side? It should be under warranty except if it was the result of abuse.

I suggest you call for warranty service before trying to tamper with it yourself. Make sure you have the exact date of sale when you call.

LINK > Appliance411: Requesting Servuce

JMO

Dan O.

howaboutme

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. I double checked, it's out of the 1st year warranty. I was mistaken w/ my initial post.

Still something I should pay someone for?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
it's out of the 1st year warranty.
If it's out of warranty you can try looking into it yourself. I don't know what the cause is, maybe that switch's mounting is damaged or has just come out of place? A lot of these things just snap together. The cause may be apparent once you get to it. It may require a T-15 Torx screwdriver or bit.

There is video instructions on how to access the door latch used on your model at the following link. It help you to access the other components inside the door.

LINK > Door Latch WPW10653840 and Repair Help Videos

Dan O.

Last edited:

howaboutme

Premium Member
Thank you very much! That video is helpful. That was the first thing I tried to look for but didn't find a video on this particular model but now see that it is similar to other models. I appreciate the help. Now..need to go get a new screwdriver..

djcarter75

Premium Member
I have the same issue. I took the front panel off with a T15 screwdriver bit and lifted the front panel off. Then removed the one screw on the inside that holds the top controls. I removed the ribbon cable wire from the front and removed the push button assembly. The tabs that hold the assembly are broken on the right side where the start button is allowing the board to push down and not click. Where can I find this board holder at? I have scoured the net and cant find any numbers for it.

20190606_190838_LI (2).jpg

djcarter75

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply. I was able to glue the board on the side that had the broken bracket so the button would actual press and click when engaging the board. The bad thing is the board start button does not function which is why it was probably pressed hard to break the bracket to begin with. Luckily I found my receipt from Lowes and I bought the extended warranty that runs out in December.

It is a Maytag MDB8959SFZ4 dishwasher as the original poster. Thanks again.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The tabs that hold the assembly are broken on the right side where the start button is allowing the board to push down and not click. Where can I find this board holder at?
The parts list doesn't show that holder separately. It looks like the whole control panel might have to be replaced if it is needed.

The bad thing is the board start button does not function which is why it was probably pressed hard to break the bracket to begin with.
One bonus is the control panel assembly (# W10910624) is listed as cheaper ($100-$125) as compared to just the switch unit (# W10898450) at $170-$190 even though the assembly shows to include the switch unit.

W1608246-00003.png

Luckily I found my receipt from Lowes and I bought the extended warranty that runs out in December.
Even Better!