• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDB8969SDM0 Maytag dishwasher won't finish a cycle.

diycdb

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB8969SDM0
Brand
Maytag
Our 4 year old dishwasher cleans dishes great, but it has had way too many issues for an $800 machine. Recently, it just continues to run for up to 8 hours (or more because I stop it). The timer counts down ever so slowly but sometimes doesn't even change. There is water in it, and it is hot and steamy and the dishes seem clean (which I would hope after 8 hours in the dishwasher). I can run a rinse cycle which works fine. The unit seems to drain fine.

I ran the diagnostic mode and get f8e2 which according to the manual is pump related. Following the diagnostic directions, I checked the drain pump winding resistance and get 22 ohm which is in the 15 to 25 ohm acceptable range. However, in looking at the drain motor it is only 40W whereas the diagrams say it should be 100W. Not sure what to make of this because online states 40W also. Also checked for obstructions in the drain, all clear. I cleaned all of the plug contacts and used deoxit.

Any other ideas would be helpful. I dont like manning the dishwasher all the time...

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Your missing the last digit at the end of your model number, we need that number first. The model number tag is located inside the door on the tub frame.

MDB8969SDM0
MDB8969SDM1
MDB8969SDM2
MDB8969SDM3

Jake

diycdb

Premium Member
MDB8969SDM0

Any ideas would be great! I got the quick cycle to work once but it won't work a second time. It said the cycle would take 59 minutes and an hour later it still had 53 minutes left.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Does this problem ONLY happen when you have a HEAT OPTION selected? If so see if it runs through WITHOUT the HEAT OPTION selected.

F8E2--->Drain Motor Electrical Problem is on page 9 in the tech. data sheet, which I'm attaching below.

The drain motor is 45 watts, If the dishwasher is draining fine then that's a false error code, possibly caused by a faulty control board.

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W10737607

Is the dishwasher draining fast? I always remove the drain hose from underneath the sink, then get a bucket or container and put the drain hose in it to catch the water and see how fast its draining out the drain hose.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10348269

You may want to try this first below, a reset back to default have fixed these issues before on other members dishwashers.

Run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence:
Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that, and report back if its working good again.:)

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10610054 - Rev B.pdf
    786.3 KB · Views: 46

diycdb

Premium Member
Thanks for all of the great info Jake!

I have run the diagnostics to the end and the cycle just after ran well, then the second cycle would mess up. Also, the last time I ran a quick cycle it got stuck at 52 minutes and was still moving water around. I invoked the HIGH TEMP AND HEATED DRY buttons like the service directions and was able to move to the next part of the cycle and it finished the entire cycle. So it seems to be getting stuck in one if the earlier parts of the cycle. The soap dispenser hadn't yet opened at 52 minutes. More clues but I'm having trouble piecing them together.

Thanks !

diycdb

Premium Member
Does this problem ONLY happen when you have a HEAT OPTION selected? If so see if it runs through WITHOUT the HEAT OPTION selected.

By the way, I don't get the codes on the display unless I run the diagnostic cycle.

Tried this with the Quick Wash setting which does not include the HEAT OPTION. The cycle started at 59 minutes and the countdown stopped at 52 despite that the machine was still making water and motor noise. 45 minutes into the cycle, the display still showed 52 minutes left. Like the service paperwork says, I pressed HIGH HEAT, HEATED DRY, HIGH HEAT, HEATED DRY, then pressed the start button and it moved onto the next part of the cycle and the countdown continued. I timed it with a separate timer and they matched minute for minute until the cycle was done. I tried this again, and this time I wanted to see what was going on inside when the countdown stalled at 52 minutes, so when it got 52 minutes and stayed there for 3 minutes longer than it should have, I opened the door and saw that the dispenser had not yet opened so it was in some sort of pre-rinse mode and there was water in the unit, and it sounded like it was being pumped through the jets to pre-rinse the dishes. I don't know what the cycle is supposed to do, but it seemed to be getting stuck in this part of the cycle. This time I simply closed the door and it started up and continued on the countdown. I did not need to invoke the fast-forward mode. It would be interesting to have a camera inside during the cycle.

F8E2--->Drain Motor Electrical Problem is on page 9 in the tech. data sheet, which I'm attaching below.

The drain motor is 45 watts, If the dishwasher is draining fine then that's a false error code, possibly caused by a faulty control board.

OK. I had replaced the drain motor about 3 years ago, purchasing this 40W motor from a local appliance parts store who said it would work perfectly well. It did work for 3 years and still pumps fine. It takes about 15 seconds to pump down when I hit cancel and doesn't sound like it's struggling. Not sure how long it is supposed to take. I may buy the correct one though just in case something about this one is really incompatible (although after 3 years of once or twice-daily use it seems to have worked fine).

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W10737607

Is the dishwasher draining fast? I always remove the drain hose from underneath the sink, then get a bucket or container and put the drain hose in it to catch the water and see how fast its draining out the drain hose.

I still need to try timing this into a bucket.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10348269

You may want to try this first below, a reset back to default have fixed these issues before on other members dishwashers.

Run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence:
Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

I did this and also pressed the HIGH HEAT button as the service paperwork states in order to clear all codes. Then I let the diagnostic run all the way and watched the code F8 E2 come right back up again. Then I ran the QUICK cycle again and the same timer-pause happened again. Just had to open the door again to make it continue to make countdown progress.

It does sound like a bad control board, but no-one seems to have these in stock. Not sure what's going on with Maytag/Whirlpool, but how could every store be backordered?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It does sound like a bad control board, but no-one seems to have these in stock. Not sure what's going on with Maytag/Whirlpool, but how could every store be backordered?
Covid-19 has made a lot of normally stocked parts become on back-order now, so you will just need to wait.

I had to wait 3 weeks for a normally stocked ice maker.

Jake