• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDBTT50AWW Maytag Dishwasher Groaning Sound

Slinger

Premium Member
Model Number
MDBTT50AWW
Brand
Maytag
Hello, I have been hearing an occasional groaning sound coming from my Maytag model MDBTT50AWW dishwasher for some time now. It happens once in a while every few seconds while the dishwasher is operating (pump on). It may persist for a minute or more sometimes. Other times, it runs pretty quietly. Using Great Value Dishwashing Powder in main wash cup only. Nothing blocking the arms, which rotate given checks of their position when opening door at intervals. Dishes always come out clean as normal, so whatever it is is not affecting operation. It's just not a healthy sounding noise. I made a short 1.9 MB Mp4 video of it, attached. Any clues? Can dishwasher pumps cavitate? Any guesses are welcome, thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That sounds like my Maytag dishwasher in my kitchen when its running during the drain cycle.

That's basically the normal drain pump sound after all the water is pumped out, it's mostly air you are hearing going through that drain pump at that point.

Jake

Slinger

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, I would agree, except that it does NOT make the groan when the pump is draining the tub. My normal drain pump sound is just that - normal. The groan occurs only while the pump is recirculating the water through the arms during a wash or rinse. Possibly being made by the arms rotating and scraping/grinding on something? They seem to turn freely when I give them a spin with my hand. Yet the groan occurs every few seconds when it does happen, as if an arm were responsible because those are the only things moving around inside the tub.
Clueless in Clearwater

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh ok, in the video I didn't hear water splashing in the tub, so I thought you shot the video in the drain cycle.

Since I didn't hear water splashing in the tub and it was in the wash cycle then either the tub had no water in it, or the wash motor impeller has broken, thus no water splashing in the tub. Was water in the tub when you shot the video?

Here's the wash impeller for your model:
WP99002659 Wash Impeller Assembly

Check to see if the wash impeller is cracked, broken, or stripped from where it mounts on the wash motor shaft.

There is a HOW TO access video when you click the link to the wash impeller.

Jake

Slinger

Premium Member
Yes, it was running a regular wash cycle and it had water in it and splashing. Maybe I need to disassemble the impeller housing and assy and see if I can spy anything amiss in there. If I don't come up with something, I'll just wait 'til it gives out and then find the culprit. Thanks again for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes definitely check the wash impeller.:)

Jake