• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDE4916AYA MAYTAG Dryer Delicate temperature way too high???

Al2000

Premium Member
Model Number
MDE4916AYA
Brand
Maytag
Hello, I have a Maytag MDE4916AYA electric dryer about 15-20 years old that is in wonderful condition, except for that over the past 10 years, i've always felt that the DELICATES temp setting had no different temperature than the REGULAR temp setting. I never really did anything about it, because i was thinking that perhaps it was just me and it is too hard to determine the difference in temperature by just feeling the clothes. However, this past week when i slid out the dryer to clean the vents,etc due to it getting hotter than I'ld like, I decided to take the disconnect by ducting from the back of it and run some temperature measurements for each heat setting. What i found blew my mind.
The readings i got for the 3 temp settings taken just inside the air exhaust outlet were as follows:

REGULAR 162 degrees
MEDIUM 157 degrees
DELICATE 152 degrees

Each time they hit the temperature stated above, i heard the "click" and the heater element shut off until the temp reached about 121 degrees, then came back on and stayed on until it reached the temperatures stated above.

Surely there has to be more than 10 degrees difference between the REGULAR and DELICATE temp settings. After doing some reading, it seems that a reading of 125 - 135 degrees would be a more accurate reading for the DELICATE cycle.
So I went online and ordered a new OEM cycling thermostat and a temperature switch. I received them the other day and installed them. NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOVER. Actually, the temperature measurements each went up by 1 degrees, but that was it!!! I tried to look at the circuit diagram/schematic to see what other factors could be influencing the dryer having incorrect heater element shut off levels, but i just don't see anything else that could be affecting it.

Any advice for this situation, as i hate to buy a new dryer when mine is working perfect except that the temp ranges are all high. Thanks.

Attachments

• MDE4916AYA.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 12

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Surely there has to be more than 10 degrees difference between the REGULAR and DELICATE temp settings

Usually, yes.

Poor airflow through the dryer will prevent normal temperature control.

First I would suggest you try running a load with the venting totally removed from the dryer to see if temperatures improve.

LINK > Dryer Venting Information

If that doesn't affect the resulting temperature, someone should look for internal vent blockages, plugged lint screen and for problems with the blower fan.

If that isn't it, check that the drum seals are sealing properly and not worn and allowing air to escape.

Dan O.

Al2000

Premium Member
Dan, thank you for responding so quickly. Just a couple immediate notes to your response:
First I would suggest you try running a load with the venting totally removed from the dryer to see if temperatures improve.
Actually, all of my temperature measurements were with the dryer venting removed, and the end of the thermometer a few inches inside the dryer exhaust pipe.
And the airways were completely unobstructed, lint screen perfectly clean, and airflow coming out the exhaust was very strong. So strong that the cup that i was using that i placed upside down in front of the dryer exhaust opening to set the HVAC thermometer on so that i could get the tip of it a few inches inside the dryer, kept getting blown back until i taped it down.

the readings i took were only about 18 inches downwind from the cycling thermostat, so it would seem that the air temperature would have been about the same at the cycling thermostat, however it was not shutting off the heating elements early enough for the delicate cycle for some reason.

And i know you mentioned to check the drum seals, which i will do (once i figure out how to do that :) ), but it would seem that the temperature readings that i'm taking would be unaffected by any air leaks since that same air that is being measured by my thermometer has to pass by the cycling thermostat first.

I do appreciate the response. This is a very puzzling situation and the end solution, once we get there, may end up defying logic.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Not only does the exhaust have to be forceful, the air has to circulate through the whole dryer properly. Check all seals, including the drum's and between all internal ducting.

The cycling thermostat is on the blower housing. If air flow IS definitely correct, either the thermostat is defective, the heat selector switch is defective or there's a problem with the wiring between them.

LINK > MDE4916AYA Cycling Thermostat WP307249

LINK > Heat Selector Switch 33001640 w/resister

Dan O.

Al2000

Premium Member
I will check the seals as best as i can. I don't know if you saw that in my original email, i stated that i already replaced the cycling thermostat and heat selector switch with brand new OEM ones and it made no difference.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Al2000 said:
I don't know if you saw that in my original email, i stated that i already replaced the cycling thermostat and heat selector switch with brand new OEM ones

I did see that but that doesn't change the fact that there are only so many things I know of that could cause the operating temperature to be too high, bad temperature control or poor air flow.

Dan O.

Last edited: