FIXED MDE5500AYW Maytag Neptune Started Chirping Panel Lights Up Dryer Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceisIrish

Premium Member
Model Number
MDE5500AYW
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag Neptune MDE5500AYW electric dryer that was purchase around 2002 give or take 2 years. Awhile back, maybe 3 - 6 months ago, our dryer started chirping. This may have happened after a major thunderstorm. I would unplug the dryer and leave it unplugged until we needed to use it again and it worked without issue. This has been going on for 6 months to 1 year I think.

I used the dryer Sunday and it worked fine. Today it was chirping again so I unplugged it again. My son needed to dry some clothes about an hour or two after I had unplugged the dryer. The panel would light up but when buttons were pressed nothing happened. I have seen other posts here so I realize that this is not uncommon with this model of dryer. One reason for this new post is that sometimes things that seem insignificant, in this case the chirping, are. One more thing, our laundry room is extremely small and at the bottom of a narrow staircase. To take the dryer our of the laundry room would be a major undertaking and destroy my injured back in the process. Hopefully the chirping would allow for a single diagnosis. Also my electrical skills are very basic but I do have a multimeter that I use for measuring voltage. Any help would be sincerely appreciate.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The problem sounds like a bad membrane control panel assembly, since your saying the buttons are not responding as well, and that chirp sound is likely a short in that touchpad assembly.

Now on this model Maytag the membrane control panel assembly part number depends on the first two digits of your serial number.

Here's the membrane control panel touchpad assembly for your model you can order(For Maytag serial# that starts with 68 or lower):
33002536 Led Console Assy

Here's the membrane control panel touchpad assembly for your model if your dryer serial# starts with 69 or higher:
22004444 Led Console Assy

Jake

BruceisIrish

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I don't know if this confirms your diagnosis but when I tried to enter Accessing Service/Diagnostic Mode by pressing down the damp dry and time (-) keys for 5 seconds nothing happened. Would this indicate a bad membrane control panel assembly for sure or are there any other tests I could run? The part is rather expensive so I want to be sure. Also thank you for the quick reply which I missed between work and the ~80 emails I receive every day.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Bruce, that confirms it. I've replaced many of these same membrane's on this model when I worked at Sears, and it always fixed it.

Jake

BruceisIrish

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I appreciate your help. Looks like the luck of the Irish. The good thing is that this should be a relatively simple repair. The not so good thing is the cost of the part. I ordered the part from the link you posted after verifying my serial number. I hope that you have an affiliate link with them.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Bruce, if you need a guide to replace it just let us know, remember to unplug the dryer first.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

BruceisIrish

Premium Member
Thank you Jake,

Your diagnosis was spot on. To follow up my part ordered over the weekend arrived Tuesday morning. The repair was quick and easy. I will confess that when I received the LED console and saw it was just the console and did not include the attached microprocessor board I was concerned that my problem might have actually been with the microprocessor board instead of just the console.

I did encounter I small problem. The LED console had a manufacturing defect. The far left mounting screw 'hole' in the console had not been 'drilled' but was solid. I called AppliancePartsPros.com and they said they would contacted Maytag to request that a new console be sent to me. I am using the LED console they sent me in the meantime. If I had a tap and die set for the course threaded screws I would have repaired the part myself. I have some history with Maytag. Given that this part that Maytag charges us an arm and a leg for a part that probably cost them very little to manufacture I did not feel bad about this. Also it only cost AppliancePartsPros.com about 4 minutes of their employees time. I have not received an email confirmation that Maytag has sent this part out yet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Bruce, glad to hear your back in business.:)

Thanks for the update!

The far left mounting screw 'hole' in the console had not been 'drilled' but was solid. I called AppliancePartsPros.com and they said they would contacted Maytag to request that a new console be sent to me.
That is very rare, but at least you can use it till your new one arrives.:)

I have not received an email confirmation that Maytag has sent this part out yet.
You should shortly.

Keep us posted. I marked this as FIXED since it fixed the chirping and non-responsive buttons problem.:)

Jake

thechemist

Premium Member
Sorry for reviving an old thread, I am having the same problem and I did not want to start a new thread. The serial number on my unit begins with #69 and the Whirlpool 22004444 console has been discontinued. Is there an alternative? Is there something on the board I can fix?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting, you are correct, they must of just stopped making them between when Bruce bought it and now.

Sorry, I don't know where you can get another new one.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.