• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDE8057AYW Maytag Dryer - would not shut off - Timer not advancing

samPull

Premium Member
Model Number
MDE8057AYW
Brand
Maytag
Dryer works great except it needs to be stopped manually. Else it keeps going. Read several threads on this topic here. An appliance mechanic came by (for something else) saw this and said timer issue. Here is what I have so far.

- Ordered a used replacement part on eBay and replaced the timer and no benefit. (Model M460-G Maytag 63711460)
- The timer dial just stays where it is and does not advance.
- Neither Timed Dry nor Automatic Dry works.
- Timer does not advance in Air Fluff also (The air fluff on this model is a button and need to use 'Timed Dry')
- There is no Circuit board to replace to advance the motor.
- When in operation, the timer does have a faint hum to it, which I assume means there is power to the Timer.

Is there an input to the Timer that makes the timer advance?? if there is one I would expect it to impact the 'Auto Dry' mode and not Timed Dry mode.

Attached is the Dryer Circuit Diagram, if that helps.
Dryer Ckt.jpg

I am baffled and any help would be appreciated..

samPull

Premium Member
BTW, thought of replacing 'Cycling Thermostat' but thought is impacts only the 'Auto Dry', not sure why that should affect the 'Timed Dry' mode

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
samPull said:
There is no Circuit board to replace to advance the motor.

?? The 'dryness control' looks to be wired directly to the timer motor. It's an electronic control.

WP33002389-highlight.jpg

LINK > Dryness Control Board WP33002389

I'm not certain how it is designed to operate on that model though but it is the only other thing I can see as a possibility if the timer itself isn't the problem.

Dan O.

samPull

Premium Member
'Dryness Control' should not come into picture when it is on 'Timed Dry', I think. It should just count down the time and stop, right?

Anyways, I will look into and see what I can find out..

Thanks for your suggestion.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
samPull said:
'Dryness Control' should not come into picture when it is on 'Timed Dry',

When it's working properly, I would agree. But by the wiring diagram it looks like ALL power to the timer motor goes through that board. If it failed in a manor that resulted in an open circuit, it could affect all timer advancing... regardless of setting.

But yes, using a stopwatch would work too.

Dan O.

Last edited: