FIXED MDG5500AWW Maytag Neptune Gas Dryer squealing ONLY when heating

jhfrontz

Premium Member
Model Number
MDG5500AWW
Brand
Maytag
I've got a gas dryer that, only after the gas fires, makes a sound that is like a dog whistle. It's an amazingly high-pitched sound that goes away as soon as I open and close the door; I start the dryer again and only a few seconds later when I hear the gas jet roaring does the squealing start.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd Jeff, so if you have it on air dry NO HEAT you don't hear the squealing whistle?

Jake

jhfrontz

Premium Member
Thats odd Jeff, so if you have it on air dry NO HEAT you don't hear the squealing whistle?
Correct -- if I start the machine in "air fluff", I don't hear the squeal. If I start it in "timed dry" (or "sensor dry"), about 10-15 seconds later as the gas valve clicks (and the normal muffled jet sound of the burning starts), the squealing starts. If, mid-squeal, I punch the "air fluff" button, the squealing (and the normal burning sound) stops immediately.

All other operation is fine -- the unit dries like a champ, puts air out the vent, shuts off normally, etc.

It's almost like the burner is clogged with something. Or is there a fan/blower that is only activated when the unit is heating?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jeff,

Then yes, it sounds like a gas valve issue, either the gas coils or gas valve itself.

In my 20 plus years of appliance repair, I don't remember ever having one do this noise with the heat on.

The blower wheel runs all the time the motor does, so that won't be it.

So, I'd hate to guess on what it could be, so you can call a tech. out or go with a new gas valve.

Here's the gas valve assembly for your model you can order here:
WP306176 Dryer Gas Valve

Jake

ryanlhart

I've got a gas dryer that, only after the gas fires, makes a sound that is like a dog whistle. It's an amazingly high-pitched sound that goes away as soon as I open and close the door; I start the dryer again and only a few seconds later when I hear the gas jet roaring does the squealing start.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
I just started having this same problem. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?

jhfrontz

Premium Member
I just started having this same problem. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?
I'd completely forgotten about this -- we actually didn't do anything. I can't remember the details, but the sound must've stopped within a few days (otherwise my wife would have insisted that I get a tech to come check it -- I don't remember that happening and can't find any record of a repair visit). I'm guessing that the sound was caused some debris or build-up in the burner/jet that eventually burned off. The dryer has been fine ever since (knock wood!).

Andrew1017

Premium Member
My dryer does this as well. The burner is free of lint and it heats up well, but I have a noise. Did you find a solution?

I found a video with a dryer making the same noise, but no solution.

TheGlitch

Solution found

I had the same problem, where my gas dryer would squeal only when heating. As recommended by Jake, I replaced the gas valve. I can confirm that this fixed the problem for me.

I note of caution: be careful when removing the gas valve. Mine was attached to the igniter. The igniter is very fragile. You should also avoid touching the igniter to avoid getting oil from your hand on it.

Good luck
-- Glitch

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Glitch for letting others know that the new gas valve fixed yours, and also the added information you posted.:)

Jake

Andrew1017

Premium Member
Thanks guys! Mine actually stopped making the noise after a couple of runs. Maybe there was something obstructing the valve? If it comes back, maybe I’ll replace the valve.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Maybe there was something obstructing the valve?
Yes Andrew, that's quite possible. If the noise is gone then you should be fine unless it comes back, then it would be the gas valve that's causing it.

Let us know if the noise comes back.

Jake

Patdpt

SOLUTION! I found the source of my dryer whistling when the burner is on! It was an aggressive bend in the gas line! Once I straightened it out, no more whistle!