MDG5500AWW, serial number 80 Maytag Neptune Started Chirping

jac4975

Premium Member
Hi Jake (and others),

I'm just tagging onto this old thread since my situation is quite similar. I have a Maytag Neptune MDG5500AWW, serial number 80-something. For the past 6+ months, the dryer has worked intermittently but with a lot of constant chirping and beeping that make it quite hard to run a cycle. Sometimes the keypad locks up completely and doesn't respond at all. Sometimes it turns on and starts beeping even if the unit is 'off.' I'm generally able to run a cycle eventually, especially by unplugging and waiting or playing around with key combinations -- but it has gotten worse recently. I'm able to get the unit into diagnostic mode, but I can't run any tests or look at diagnostic codes - the keypad locks up at that point. From all of the past traffic I am guessing this is a console-related problem. However, it looks like the touchpad you've recommended is no longer available through the link you've shared in the past. Any suggestions? Should I try opening the console and cleaning even if I can't replace the part?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi jac,

Yes, sounds like the control panel keypad assembly is bad. You can try contact cleaner on the ribbon cable end where it connects into the control board.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope that's it jac, time to go dryer shopping.:)

ALL good things must come to a end. 😭

Jake

jac4975

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

It does sound that way, but would you recommend trying to swap out the console if the part(s) were still available? The touchpad assembly, the control panel, or both?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes jac if the parts where still available new I would, but don't waste you money on used or refurbished parts, not worth it.

Jake

jac4975

Premium Member
Agreed. I'll poke around and see if I can find them anywhere - sorry that they're out of stock at the place you've recommended to other people in the past. Based on my symptoms, would you recommend replacing everything or just one of the components?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think you missed me saying don't look for them, they are no longer available anywhere new. You'd be better off buying a new dryer in the long run.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help jac.:)

Jake