• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDG6460AWW Maytag Dryer not heating and timer stopped advancing drum runs though

Donnny75

Premium Member
Model Number
MDG6460AWW
Brand
Maytag
So my wife said washer makes noise. And close are too wet. I ran a wash came back during spin cycle and u would hear the spin start then this sharp noise and spin would start again to build rpm then the noise eventually it spun but not full speed for any duration. I lifted lid during this and that same noise and drum locked up. Close lid spin starts again repeat with noises. I then noticed it made noise sometimes on agitate too. It's still being used with smaller loads.

Added Dryer model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
A model number would help, the model number tag is usually located under the lid or on the top of the control console.

It sounds like either the belt, bearings, or transmission is going bad on your machine.

Jake

Donnny75

Premium Member
OK so replaced washer now dryer stopped heating and timer stopped advancing drum runs though. I think it's matching set not sure

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I said, without a model number we are dead in the water.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

replaced washer now dryer stopped heating and timer stopped advancing drum runs though. I think it's matching set not sure
With a brand new washer and dryer set?

Jake

Donnny75

Premium Member
No just washer. Dryer is MDG6460AWW no heat no dial movement happened suddenly no previous events.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, got it!

Does the dryer even turn on and run? But just no heat and the timer doesn't advance?

Put the timer on AIR DRY/NO HEAT cycle and see if the timer advances to OFF.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It means your cycling thermostat is bad.

Its located on your blower wheel housing, here it is:
Thermostat WP307250

If it still does not advance, it means your timer is bad.

WP33002803 Timer

Jake

Donnny75

Premium Member
OK so it does advance... That means timer and cycling are good I assume....judging by what comes in repair kits it's 1 of 3 things. Ignitor, gas valve coil or flame sensor

Donnny75

Premium Member
So next step is to take front off and watch for ignition? If no glow check flame sensor? If ignites and quits it's gas valve? So what is start sequence of events in gas dryer. Timer starts, drum turns, ignitor heats, gas flows n lights, sensor kills ignitor, burner operates until cycle changes/ thermostats shut it off?

Donnny75

Premium Member
OK so it does advance... That means timer and cycling are good I assume....judging by what comes in repair kits it's 1 of 3 things. Ignitor, gas valve coil or flame sensor
Are u saying if it advances then cycling thermo may be bad? This would stop heat and timer from operating? And is that exact part needed or is there a substitute I'm not finding that part# referenced on Amazon. 60 for that sensor is a bit much I take it that it interrupts circuit at a set temperature for air in drum. I see this sensor is special has 5 prongs. I'm finding it for 30 on Google.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In AUTO-DRY the timer advances only when the heat is off, in TIMED-DRY the timer advances all the time.

Don't search parts on Google, they will mislead you with cheap aftermarket parts on amazon. Its always best to ONLY get OEM parts from appliance parts stores like AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic and they Always have a 365 day warranty on ALL parts.

You can use a multimeter to ohm test the cycling thermostat per this video:

ALSO, ohm test your thermal fuse. It that is bad, the dryer will run, but never heat.

Its located on the blower wheel housing, Unplug your dryer first and ohm the thermal fuse for continuity with a multimeter.

Watch this video to ohm test it:

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order if yours is bad:
WP33001762 Thermal Fuse

Watch this video to access/replace it:

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.