• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MDG8400AWW Dryer now wont start. Even after lifting knob

me_rubin

Premium Member
Model Number
MDG8400AWW
Brand
Maytag
Our Gas Maytag Dryer has been working for a long time.It is a Maytag Atlantis Model MDG8400AWW Serial 2289720CV. For the last 3 years to start the dryer, besides just pulling on the Knob to start normally, we had to pull and pull up to get it to start. That was a work around for about 3 years. Now the pulling up does not work and it wont start at all.

I'm sure something must be mis-aligned or loose but I have not taken it apart yet to troubleshoot. Can you give me a hint on where I might start troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks,

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Parts for Maytag MDG8400AWW: Control Panel Parts

Check your timer dial #2 and the timer knob #3 to make sure those are not cracked or broken.

If they are fine, then the problem is the timer #7 and you also have to order the wire harness for it too.

Jake

me_rubin

Premium Member
Jake Thanks for the reply. I'm having a problem getting the the control panel off. I unscrewed the three torx #10 screws(12) from the top and as I pull the panel towards the me it seems there are clips holding the bottom of the panel. I did not want to pull too hard as not to snap them off. is there some release I need to press or slide with a screwdriver?

Here is a picture from my phone of the clips holding the front bottom of the panel:

original.jpg

any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

me_rubin

Premium Member
Never mind, once I removed the 3 lower 1/4 nuts the whole top lifted off then I could release the front panel.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mike, what did you find out?

Jake

me_rubin

Premium Member
The knobs are all intact. I took out the timer and it seems in good shape. I'm wondering if something else could be the problem. I don't want to invest 120 for a new timer and 100 for the wiring harness. I'll buy a new dryer for 600 before spending 220 on a 10 year old dryer. Lot's of sales this weekend.

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'll buy a new dryer for 600 before spending 220 on a 10 year old dryer. Lot's of sales this weekend.
Yes, that would be wise.

Because if the timer dial and knob are not broken or cracked then the problem is the timer.

Jake