MDG9316AWW Maytag dryer squeaking

Ront02769

Premium Member
Model
MDG9316AWW
Brand
Maytag
Maytag dryer squeaks badly then there is a “heavy “ load, towels, etc in it. I have no problem trying to fix it.....but can’t afford to be without it for more than a few days. Suggestions welcome. I haven’t tried anything yet.....and can’t pinpoint a squeak source thqnks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Drum support roller/slides worn?

dryer squeaks badly then there is a “heavy “ load
The drum rides on rollers at the rear and is supported by nylon slides at the front. Check the rollers for play against the shaft they turn on. If there's any, the rollers should be replaced and the shafts inspected for wear. Inspect the front slides for wear and replace if necessary.

LINK > Rear Drum Rollers

LINK > Front Drum Slides

Both links have video repair help so you can see if you want to tackle the job yourself.

Dan O.

Ront02769

Premium Member
Curiosity, is there a way to figure out if it is rollers, idler pulley thing, or stretched out belt???? Or should I I just order all the parts and fix everything?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The idler pulley thing would usually make the same sound if it was defective regardless of the size of the load. A dryer belt itself is unlikely to be responsible for a squealing noise but if it looks in rough condition it could be replaced while you're doing service.

Dan O.

Ront02769

Premium Member
So I went on line and looked for idler pulley thing and couldn’t find it and then I looked at the schematic blow up and couldn’t find the belt either. And my plan was to take it apart once....and replace front slides, rear bearings, idler thing and belt. And you were kind enough to give me parts reference for slide and bearings so maybe some help with the other two parts?? (Btw, I am NOT an appliance repairman!) thanks