MDG9806AWW Maytag Dryer Squealing and Rumbling like Crazy

Rick53

Model Number
MDG9806AWW
Brand
Maytag
This is a Maytag Model MDG9806AWW ; Roughly 17 years old. Recently the Motor failed : In the process of replacing the Motor I also replaced :

Drum Roller Pulleys and Axles
Idler Pulley
Drum Belt
Blower Wheel
Engine
Glides

I made sure everything spun freely : Manually turning the drum it sounds fine. When you start it , all hell breaks loose. It works fine. Dries the clothes faster and seems to rotate the Drum quicker then it was : but is Noisy as it gets.

Is it possible all the New parts have to wear in ? The symptoms I describe when Googled comes up Pulley Sticking : The only thing I can think of is the Idler Wheel might need a New Arm: LOL it's about the only part besides a Burner that I haven't purchased:

Any ideas : Maybe My Drum is Out of round? Can't tell that looking :

I ran the Motor and the Blower Wheel Separably to eliminate that was the source of the Noise: I should also mention the old Idler Wheel had a Groove worn in it from use :

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is the Idler Wheel might need a New Arm:
With the new idler pulley on the old idler arm shaft, does it turn smooth with your hand both ways?

With all those parts you replaced, that should of fixed the squealing and rumbling noise.

Was it making all these noises before you replaced the motor?

Jake

Rick53

Jake No it wasn't : But I already ran the Motor alone to make sure it wasn't the Motor : My only other thought is that the Idler arm is worn : It does have play back and forth. The predominant noise is rumble : The Idler moves easily : Doesn't spin like the drum pulleys though : But I assumed it was due to how light weight it is.

And the Old wheel had a worn groove you could feel from the belt : Actually more then just feel it : You can see the worn groove from the belt : I ran the Motor hooked up with just the Fan Wheel and it was quiet : The rumble would be akin to rolling a barrel down and uneven bouncy hill :

I was even debating if Turning the drum the other way would help it.I started this project because the Dryer looks like New still > I figured replacing the Motor would made it run like a New : Now I have to much into it to just trash the project

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The only part on the idler arm that can wear is the shaft that the pulley rides on, is the new idler pulley wobbly on that idler arm shaft?

What's the part number of your motor you replaced? Did your original motor have the D shaped motor shaft or the threaded motor shaft?

This model will take one of these 2 motors below per your original motor shaft configuration.

Here's the D shaped motor shaft with two slots for blower wheel snap rings:
W10410997 Drive Motor

Here's the threaded motor shaft for the blower wheel to screw onto it
WP33002795 Motor

Try to see if you put pressure on the motor shaft if it tries to wobble and doesn't feel tight. You could have a bad motor if the motor shaft doesn't feel tight under pressure.

Jake

Rick53

When I took this apart I find that the brand New Blower Wheel is nicked up badly. Every Fin has a chunk taken out : You can also see inside of the cover is worn down to bare metal in spots. Also in the first picture you can see the wheel doesn't sit into the housing evenly front to back.
This is the part number for Blower Wheel 33001790.

I also checked the Motor Number The Website shows they sent W10410997.

It's obvious the noise has to be the Blower wheel : Not sure why though. The Blower wheel goes into the housing until it hits the Snap ring you attach to the shaft. The shaft on the Motor doesn't appear wobbly > I pushed on it hard and as mentioned earlier I can run it alone and it sounds quiet.

I'm totally lost what to do. Thanks for all the Help . Much appreciated

Attachments

Rick53

I bought the parts from a Place called Repairclinic.com According to the Order 33001790 is the same blower : But it makes no sense that it's so big it did what it did : You can only push it only as far as the snap ring on the shaft allows : The box it came in appears to be the stock number you posted : We have a Maytag service Center still in the town where I live. I probably should see if they stock this blower and just buy it locally and bring the other one in to see what they say. Do you agree it seems weird ?? I guess I'd better make sure because the Motor they sent isn't OEM : It's After Market : Although it does say on the parts sites I looked at it fits My Dryer and is a replacement for W10410997. I used them because I had a coupon for 25% off an order over 100.00 : According to My Invoice they sent me the same Wheel you linked

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Something doesn't add up here, I order a ton of parts from RepairClinic and never had this problem.

They don't sell aftermarket parts. Contact them and tell them to send you another motor.

Jake

Rick53

I took My old motor and compared it with the new one they sent me. What's different is how it mounts on the Motor mounts. It's similar but the way it mounts it causes the shaft to come in at a slight angle that is maybe 10% different then the OEM engine . So once I mount the blower wheel it sets canted differently : It's not much But enough to cause the Whole setup to be off : They say they stand behind what they sell and their reviews are really good. So I plan to call and explain what they did > Someone substituted an after Market Motor : That works but messes up how the blower sets . It does appear I can shift the mounts on each end enough to make it work if they won't just do right by me. After all My Invoice indicates they sent me an OEM Motor W10410997 and they didn't. They sent me a different Model.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, contact them, they will send you another new one for no charge.

Jake