• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MDR231RB White-Westinghouse Leaking dishwasher

scubaguy

Premium Member
Model Number
MDR231RB
Brand
White-Westinghouse
Hello,
I recently purchased an apartment with a Westinghouse dishwasher MDR231RB.. It wasn't used for 1 year and I connected to water line to the hot water inlet. I ran the dishwasher on 3 different cycles and there was no leaking. My daughter ran it with dishwasher soap and says now it is leaking from underneath the washer. The dishes otherwise cleaned perfectly. How can I diagnose the problem? Is there a seal that can be changed to prevent this leak?
Thank You

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You're going to need a good flashlight and look under the machine and see where the water is leaking from.

scubaguy

Premium Member
Leaking dishwasher

Hello,
I finally got to exam the dishwasher. I ran the dishwasher on the light wash cycle and there were no leaks at all...sl moisture under the right corner but certainly less than 1 tsp of water. I asked my daughter to purchase liquid dishwasher soap and place it in the dispenser and try it again. She hasn't been able to do this as of yet.

She said she initially saw the suds coming out from the front of the door between 2 panels near the bottom front. She had used one of those pods with powder soap and rinse aid. The dishwasher is very old and maybe this soap isn't good for this model. As the washer is very old I think the gasket that surrounds the front might be hard and not sealing fully. What is the part number for this gasket and how is it installed ?

Thanks for everyone's help.

rickgburton

Staff member
The door gasket is out of stock everywhere I check. That's sometimes an indication it's no longer available. It's not cheap at $100 plus and that's an old machine. You might be better off putting that money towards a new machine.
Door Gasket 5300809633
Door-Gasket-5300809633-00636498.jpg

scubaguy

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply
When I look at the parts diagram, I see there is a baffle seal in the door. This seems to be in the area that my daughter noticed the suds leak through the two areas of the door. Could this be the culprit?

rickgburton

Staff member
It's possible, but the only times I've seen suds come out below the door was when regular dish soap was used. Dishwasher detergent doesn't make a lot of suds unless too much was used. The baffle use to come with the door seal. It was common to see the bottom of the baffle rusted and swollen and water would leak out below the door but usually at the corners. However it's a moot point since that part has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available.
Door Baffle 154126601
Door-Baffle-154126601-00629248.jpg

scubaguy

Premium Member
Hello,
I finally got to re investigate the dishwasher again.I ran the dishwasher with dish washer liquid soap 3 times and there was absolutely no leaks anywhere.
My daughter has used the unit and it works perfectly. It must have been some residual dish soap in the unit .. Problem solved. Thanks for your time and energy.