• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ME302J/03 Thermador Double Oven - Broiler comes on randomly during bake

bkahn

Premium Member
Model Number
ME302J/03
Brand
Thermador
I am having an issue when I am baking, the broiler elements come on. Sometimes this happens after the oven is on for a while and sometimes is starts out this way. I believe if I change the oven to broil and back to bake, it will fix it. I can't tell if this is a relay issue or a control board issue? or something else..

Thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The broil element will often come on during the initial preheat to help speed the process. The broil element can also cycle on and off in opposition to the bake element to produce more even heating.

It's operation depends on the programming of the control system which I don't know for your model and I don't have access to service information to find out. Have you checked the owner's manual for any mention? You might also have to ask Thermador or one of their service depots about its specific functioning.

Usually if the control was responsible for it malfunctioning, it would either be on all the time or never.

JMO

Dan O.

bkahn

Premium Member
Thanks. It is definitely malfunctioning as the oven got over 500 degrees the other night when it was suppose to be on 350. We have seen it also seem to be fine at temp then check on it a little later and it is 100s of degrees hotter. We check the temp with a small oven thermometer in the oven.

If was happen all the time, would you expect it to be the controller or the relay?

Thanks for the help!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the broil element comes on and stayed on during bake, yes there may very well be a problem.

bkahn said:
If was happen all the time, would you expect it to be the controller or the relay?

Most electronic controls contain relays so it's basically the same thing. Some models might have a separate reply board in which case either the relay board or the electronic control could be responsible for the broil staying on. It would have to be checked out to determine which was the cause in your case.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.