• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MEDB880BW0 Maytag Bravos XL Dryer - Powers on but doesn't run

Jon Burkhart

Premium Member
Model Number
MEDB880BW0
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag Bravos XL MEDB880BW0 that powers on but when I press the start button on any setting it doesn't run. It thinks its running in that the lights will flash if I hit stat again or open the door but it never turns or blows or heats up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jon,

I posted the service manual for this model in post#2 here: FIXED: MEDB880BW0 Three Cycles Does Not Work On Maytag Bravo XL Dryer

You can download it, then it will show and tell you how to remove that front panel. All parts are accessed through the front. Make sure you unplug your dryer first!

When you press start does it make any sound at all? Like the motor humming, but not running?

If you hear nothing when you press start, then the most common part to fail that would cause this problem is the thermal fuse.

The thermal fuse for your model is on the top of the blower wheel housing. The service manual tells you how to access it after you remove the front panel.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order if needed:
Thermal Fuse WP3390719

Watch this video to ohm test it: Thermal Fuse Testing

You will need a multimeter, I use this one: Multimeter DM10T

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jon Burkhart

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I've downloaded this one before based on other threads and it isn't the same model as mine. ELECTRIC MODELS: MED6300TQ, MED6400TB, MED6400TQ

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's the closest one I have for your model.

I will ask bigbuck if he has the exact one for your model.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck.:)

Glad we could help Jon, let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, Good job Jon.:)

Vent issues are the number one reason the thermal fuse to blow and the thermal cut-off to blow.

Its a good idea to check and clean your exhaust vent that goes to the outside thoroughly to keep this from happening again.:)

Jake

Jon Burkhart

Premium Member
Thank you guys again for all of your advice. The dryer works but items come out a lot more wrinkled than before. Any idea why this would be?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it doing the "cool down" at the end of the cycle?

Also put the dryer on AIR DRY/NO HEAT and run it empty and see if you have heat.

Jake

Jon Burkhart

Premium Member
Clothes have been hot when removing them from the dryer immediately after the cycle finishes so I assume that means it's not doing the "cool down" I ran it on Air Only and there does appear to be heat present.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I ran it on Air Only and there does appear to be heat present.
Ok, that indicates either your heating element is shorted to ground, which would make the heating stay ON in AIR/DRY and COOL DOWN, or the timer is the problem if the heating element isn't grounded.

You will need to ohm test the heating element for continuity to the heating element metal housing. Unplug your dryer, THEN take the wires off of the heating element, THEN put one meter probe on one of the heating element terminals and the other meter probe on the metal heating element housing and see if you get continuity, do the same to the other heating element terminal where you removed the heating element wires from, because if you get continuity from the heating element to the heating element metal housing, then the heating element is grounded.

Here's the heating element for your model you can order if yours is grounded:
WP8544771 Heating Element

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jon Burkhart

Premium Member
It appears to have gone to ground and I'm assuming, since there is pieces laying on the bottom of the housing and one of the two terminals wasn't even connected from the inside (broke off), needs to be replaced. Is it also safe to assume the heating element going out is the reason the fuse blew?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it also safe to assume the heating element going out is the reason the fuse blew?
Yes Jon, that's correct.:)

Order and replace the heating element and you'll be back in business.:)

Make sure the dryer is unplugged first!

Jake