MEDB880BW0 Maytag Bravos XL Vibration from Riser

dmlenz

Premium Member
Model Number
MEDB880BW0
Brand
Maytag
Hello,

Ever since we got our (2nd) maytag bravos dryer, we notice a fairly loud vibration coming from the dryer. I bullet pointed a few facts about the dryer below and even did some basic troubleshooting to determine the root cause. I'm hopeful that the experts here can recommend a solution even if it means purchasing a new part (a new riser).

- When the dryer runs, there is a vibration from the riser.
----I've attached a picture to show what I mean by "riser".
- If I touch or press on the black riser, the vibration stops.
- The vibration comes from the front right mostly. It's surprising to me that a hard plastic is touching the metal directly. This buzzing comes from the attachment point.
- I was hopeful that an installation step was missed (maybe something between the metal and plastic, but it appears that the riser comes from the factory installed.

Does anyone here have suggestions? I've been able to dampen the noise a little by putting some small pieces of folded paper between the plastic and metal, but it seems only temporary. I've considered taking the riser off completely and putting some sort of rubber or gasket material between the metal and plastic to dampen any vibration.

Thank you for your advice.

DanIMG_9640.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dmlenz

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, Jake. I've adjusted the screw legs by following my manual, but it only seems to help for a short time (or not at all). When I tightened the legs, it seemed to alleviate the vibrations in one part, but added to it in another. The parts link is helpful. Perhaps I have a mal-formed base that causes pinch points or an uneven fit in some areas. I definitely would be interested if any other members here have come across this. I reached out to Maytag to see if they could indicate that this was a known issue on some serial #s, but I got a canned response. I could reach out to a local repair company, but I've been less than satisfied with their service ever since I received the dryer.

Maybe I'll play with the screw legs a bit until (or if) anyone else has some advice.

Thanks again!
Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dmlenz

Premium Member
I don't think I was very clear. When I tighten or loosen those legs, I get temporary relief, but I think it is just coincidental due to the shifting weight. The legs themselves appear to be more of a leveling mechanism vs. something that tightens the base to the dryer.

Today, however, I removed the front legs entirely so that the base itself sits on the vinyl floor, and voila. The noise is gone. There is now enough weight on the part of the base that was vibrating (front middle-ish) so that it can't make noise anymore. I'm not sure if any long term effects due to this strategy, but I'm going to try for a day or two and then remove the back legs if things seem quieter.

Starting to regain my sanity.

Thanks again,
Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it Dan!

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Mike Steen

Premium Member
I am new here but not new to repairing stuff. We have the Bravos XL pair and the Dryer has had this same type of vibrating noise since day one. I have also been able to stop it by trying various supports from underneath but the issue is: IT REALLY SHOULD NOT VIBRATE LIKE THAT. I am getting ready to tear it down and do a full physical and audio diagnostic on it and I will update this forum if I find anything conclusive. Wish me luck.

P.S. - I also have issue with them calling it a "STEAM" dryer as it has no steam generator in it. Just a fine aerating nozzle hooked directly to the water input. Go figure. Sounds like a subject for a class action effort.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

Do you have the exact same model number MEDB880BW0?

How old is your dryer?

Jake

Mike Steen

Premium Member
My model number is MEDB980BG0 and it is a little over 4 years old. Been vibrating from day one and the service people seemed not to want to get into it too deeply. Finally it went out of warranty and now it's up to me. I have a frequency meter and it seems to vibrate at the motor speed so I am going to tear it down and look at the motor mounting along with other things. While I am in there I will I will, of course, check the rest of the stuff out. I do have one interesting issue and that is with the steam refresh feature. When my wife selects steam refresh, with or without steam, the clothes come out with wet spots. I will remove and clean the solenoid valve but that does not explain the wetness in the no steam mode. We can live with this one as the other modes are not affected.
Best to all and Merry Christmas.

Mike Steen

Premium Member
Tore it down and isolated the vibration; the motor definitely. The vibration from it does not seem to be too much more than any other motor but definitely magnified by the huge sounding board of the cabinet base. By installing some rubber sheet material under the motor bracket I mitigated the cabinet-wide vibration to a certain extent but it was still there. Anywhere there is panel-to-panel contact is a possible noise source. My wife needed the machine so I put it back together and this process definitely helped the noise issue. The next step, if really necessary, is to add thin rubber gasket material to the panel-to-panel joints and possibly some vibration absorbing material to the flat panels (ex Isodamp). As far as the steam issue I removed the hose and capped the inlet. A spray bottle will suffice in the future.
Hope this helps........Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting Mike, glad you're making progress on it.

Is it the exact same model number MEDB880BW0?

Did you make a video of the noise before and after? If so, please upload the videos to Youtube, then post the embed code here so we can hear the difference.:)

Thanks for the Merry Christmas, I must of missed your last reply before Christmas. Hope you had a good Christmas!

Happy New Year!

Jake