• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MER5765RCS Maytag Oven Heating up very slowly

jondc90

Premium Member
Model Number
MER5765RCS
Brand
Maytag
Hello,

I have a Maytag electric oven (model number MER5765RCS) that was previously working find and is now heating up very slowly after a power surge.

Everything on the oven works fine, clock / display, buttons, range elements, even the broiler, except the oven heats up very slowly. When I set it to "bake", I can hear the relay for the oven heating element kick on but it only stays on for 4 seconds, then it turns off for 50 seconds and then turns on again for 4 seconds and off again for 50 seconds, and so on. The element does work but the oven is only allowing it to work for 4 seconds at a time. Because of this, it no longer reaches baking temperature.

I have tried "resetting" the oven by shutting off power for an hour and then powering up again. I have also tried to calibrate the baking temperature; however this doesn't seem to be the issue and this oven doesn't seem to have a setting for adjusting baking temperature anyway.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem or how it can be fixed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem is the clock oven control board took a hit after that power surge.

You will need to order and replace it to fix it.

Here's the clock oven control board for your model:
Oven Control Board WP5701M719-60

Its in-stock here: WP5701M719-60

Jake

jondc90

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, I appreciated it. Given the age of the oven (13 years) and the price of the control board, it isn't likely I'll bother to replace the entire board (seems like they price things out to try to try to encourage buying an entirely new appliance).

Looking at the board itself, I found a scorch mark behind the microchip (chip is labeled "72F324J686 / 2204-R-VP / MLT-22649"). The chip itself appears to be fine and the rest of both boards are fine except for the one scorch mark which appears to be shorting out 3 lines of the control board.

I assume I probably can't buy the one (of two) control boards that has the scorch on it. Is it possible to repair the one spot that has a scorch on it? (I do have some experience with soldering / electronics repair).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it possible to repair the one spot that has a scorch on it? (I do have some experience with soldering / electronics repair).
That I don't know, as techs we just replace the board, we don't repair at board level.

But you can certainly try if you like.

Jake