• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MER6772BAB Maytag Gemini double oven - Power interruption issues

Rhodium

Premium Member
Model Number
MER6772BAB
Brand
Maytag
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I just replaced the control board on my range, and it seemed to work just fine. HOWEVER, when my wife went to use the range top, the board shut off completely (although the range continued to work). I shut off the breaker for a while and turned it back on, and the board powered up just fine. I was able to replicate the issue a few times by way of turning on the cooktop burners, and by way of the ovens. Sometimes it powers up immediately (displaying "Power Interrupted") without me having to turn off the breaker for a bit, and sometimes I have to cycle the breaker. As I write this, I am running all 4 burners on high and both ovens at 350F with no issue. Is there some sort of adjustment or calibration period when installing a new board? Could it simply be a failing breaker? I'll be grateful for any thoughts or advice you have.

Thank you for your time,
John K.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Rhodium

Premium Member
What is the part number? What was the original problem?

The display went out? The only way to get it to come back on is to reset the circuit breakers?
  1. Part Number: 8507P154-60 Rev0. Most of the buttons weren't working on the old board, and cleaning the ribbon cable contacts worked once, then they stopped working permanently. I never ohmed the button contacts.
  2. That's correct, the display went out and the only way to get it to come back on was the circuit breakers (for that instance, other instances it came right back on its own). My wife said that she tried pressing the buttons when the display was out and they didn't work.
Is it possible one of the breakers is acting up? Would the range top still run on 110V, albeit at diminished power? I was able to run it for a little while with all burners and both ovens on with no issue, so I was hopeful. However, I was just cooking my daughter's dinner in the top oven (with nothing else on) at 400F, and it power cycled (for lack of a better term) about 11 mins in.

Thank you for your help!

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, double check all the wire connections are tight. The problem is going to be with the ERC (Electronic Range Control). Look on the board by the low voltage transformer for L1 and N. If the voltage remains a constant 120 VAC when the display goes out the problem is with the ERC.

Part Number: 8507P154-60 Rev0.
I checked several parts sites and that number doesn't come up anywhere for that machine. The correct ERC for that model is part# WP5701M403-60. Unfortunately it's been discontinued and is no longer available

Rhodium

Premium Member
OK, I'll check between L1 and N the next time it happens. You are correct about the part number. When I search for the part number I gave on appliancepartspros.com, the following is returned (which seems to be the unit without the face:

1580086045891.png

and when I search the number you gave me the following comes up, which is the complete unit.

1580086130206.png

Hopefully it is a connection issue. Thank you for your help!!

Sincerely,
John K.

Rhodium

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

The oven finally faulted without cycling the power back on, leaving the LCD with no power. I kept the oven plugged-in and energized, opened the back, and measured the N-L1 voltage at the contacts on the board and at the connectors that push onto those contacts (to eliminate the possibility that there was a bad connection). 120VAC for both measurements. I unplugged and re-connected L1, and the ECB came back on. The oven worked for a whole day without issue, but today threw the error "F1-E". Shutting off the breaker for ~5mins resets the ECB. Have I bought a bad ECB? Thanks for your help and input!

Sincerely,
John K

Rhodium

Premium Member
Sounds like it.
Hi Rick,

Is it possible that I need a line filter for my unit? Our electrical grid here isn't the best, and I've noticed that the oven often resets when I rev up the microwave or electric dryer. I know other model years of my oven ended up having to have a line filter offered as a patch because the ECB was sensitive to line noise. I just can't tell if there is one that'll fit my unit. Thanks a bunch, and I hope all is well.

Sincerely,
John

rickgburton

Staff member
..... the oven often resets when I rev up the microwave or electric dryer.
Hi John, something is not right with the electrical circuits. The range should be on a dedicated 40 amp circuit. The dryer should be on it's own 30 amp dedicated circuit. The microwave is on a 15 amp or 20 amp circuit. Running one shouldn't affect the others.
I know other model years of my oven ended up having to have a line filter offered as a patch .....
I checked several different models and none of them uses a noise filter. I checked for any service bulletins that addressed using a noise filter but I found none. If you have any information about this and can share it, it would much appreciated. I never had to add a noise filter to a machine that doesn't use one.

Rhodium

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

I'll look into a possible circuit issue. Regarding the noise filter: My neighbor used to work for Maytag, and he told me about the line filters. However, he may have been thinking about another model. He took a look at the range, and his takeaway was that it either needed a line filter or a new ECB (as you have indicated). I'll make sure that the circuits are dedicated for each unit, and then purchase a new ECB if that isn't the issue (it doesn't always restart when I run either the microwave or dryer, so my observation may be happenstance). Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
John