• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Metal box in Avanti fridge making a clicking noise

edmark

Premium Member
Model Number
FF8SSR
My Avanti fridge has started making clicking noise. Other than this the fridge seems to be working just fine, but I'm concerned. The clicking is coming from the box in the upper left of this photo:
Fridge Clicking.jpg

And here's a video of the clicking sound: fridge clicking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Oh OK, that's the defrost timer. Clicking is normal. There's a cam that rotates inside the timer.

edmark

Premium Member
Thanks! It's never clicked before in the 14 years I've had this fridge. Are you sure the timer's not malfunctioning? And even if it's not malfunctioning, I work near the fridge and this new clicking is very distracting. I really need to get it to stop. Is it possible to replace a timer like this?

rickgburton

Staff member

edmark

Premium Member
I purchased it, and just installed it. No more clicking! Thanks a million!

I have a related question that came to mind as I was dealing with this:

I found the built-in thermostat on the fridge to be unreliable. So a couple years ago I added an external thermostat unit with a probe in the fridge. The fridge plugs into the thermostat and is turned on and off by it. But it just struck me that when the external thermostat cuts power to the fridge, the defrost timer is also turned off, which means it must throw off the timing the defrost cycles. So far I haven't had any issues resulting from this, with the possible exception of having to thaw out a frozen drain tube every 2-3 years (perhaps because the defrost cycle is a bit too long?). Is my setup basically ok? Or is it vitally important that the defrost cycle time not be extended?

rickgburton

Staff member
A defrost cycle starts every 8 - 12 hours and lasts for about 20 minutes. Get out the calculator LOL