• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MFB2055FRZ Maytag French Doors Freezer on Bottom - Fridge odour, burning smell, no smoke

MellowBee

Premium Member
Model Number
MFB2055FRZ
Brand
Maytag
I have had my Maytag Fridge since May 2019. This morning, I opened the fridge and the strong smell of something burning was coming out, plastic or rubber. There is no smoke The vents are not blocked.
Not sure what it can be, there is nothing in the manual under troubleshooting. Does anyone have any ideas? Maytag Canada is closed today and I am worried.
Thank you :)

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If you're concerned about it, disconnect the refrigerator from power and keep the doors closed as much as possible. Transfer the frozen food to a freezer or cooler with ice packs.

Parts possible to burn will be electrical. There's the fan motor, defrost system in the freezer or the lights. Make sure the lights aren't saying on and melting nearby plastic. It might be possible the defrost staying on an extended length of time and melted some freezer plastic. Any of the electical components that might be or have burnt out, should cease functioning.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There might be something touching the defrost heater and burning/melting. I think the problem mentioned in the service advisory however should have been noticed immediately upon initial use and not just a year later but is worth inspection once opened up.

If the appliance is less than a year old, the OP should call for warranty service.

Dan O.

Last edited:

MellowBee

Premium Member
I cleaned the fridge, the smell went away so I thought it was just a food smell. However, tonight the smell came back again. I just read your responses to my husband, he said it smells like a burning motor. I will call Maytag first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you so much. Just wondering if this is something can cause an electrical fire, should I be worried?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
MellowBee said:
the smell went away so I thought it was just a food smell. However, tonight the smell came back again

If it reappears periodically, it may be related to the defrost cycle in which case the occurrence mentioned in the service letter BigBuck supplied might be the cause or something else coming into contact with the defrost heater.

MellowBee said:
Just wondering if this is something can cause an electrical fire, should I be worried?

An actual fire is an extremely rare event in a refrigerator. If it really is a burning odor usually at most there might be melted connector or burnt out components. There isn't much to actually catch fire.

But if you're concerned, as I suggested, disconnect the appliance from power until it can be looked at. Hopefully it will be quickly. It might help to get a swift response if you state your concern about possible fire (even if unlikely).

Dan O.