MFD2562VEM Maytag bottom mount frozen coil and temps creeping up

CarolinaBlazer

Premium Member
Model
MFD2562VEM
Brand
Maytag
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have been using the search function to try to diagnose my problem, but I haven't had much luck. And with this being a time-sensitive matter (fridge is getting warmer and warmer), I figured I'd make this post.

A couple days ago my Maytag french-door fridge with bottom freezer started sounding the temperature alarm. The fridge had climbed into the low 40's and the freezer was at 20 degrees. I cleaned the condenser coils, and verified that the compressor and both fans were running. After removing the back panel in the freezer, the upper half of the evaporator coil was frozen. I thawed it out completely, plugged it back in and waited a day with all the frozen food removed (empty freezer). The temperature was very slow to come back down and the freezer will only cool down to 16 degrees. The fridge was slow to come back down too, but did eventually return to my 38 degree setting. The compressor and fans are running constantly, with the exception of brief pauses every few hours (I assume to not overheat).
I removed the back panel of the freezer again, and tested the defrost element with an ohm meter and got a reading of 28 - which from my research online is acceptable. I tested the defrost thermostat and got no continuity so I have a new one on the way.
My question is, even with a clear evaporator coil and fans running properly, why is the system very slow to cool and can't get any lower than 16 degrees in the freezer? Does the defrost thermostat just control the defrost element operation, or does it also affect the cooling rate? I did notice that there are small areas of green corrosion on the compressor lines - freon leak maybe (see pictures)? But if it was a slow freon leak, wouldn't the temperatures slowly come up as opposed to just going from 0 to 20 degrees overnight?

Thanks so very much in advance for any help with this!!

Attachments

CarolinaBlazer

Premium Member
CORRECTION... When I initially tested the defrost thermostat, it must not have been cold enough to open. I just tested it after I left it sitting an hour in a neighbor's freezer and there is continuity (0.7 ohms). So if the thermostat and the defrost element are good, what else could be causing the coil freezing up and cooling efficiency declining?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value, if you don't have warranty on it, or the warranty ran out.

Look at these photo examples below:
(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

Check your owners manual warranty, some models have up to a 10 year warranty on the sealed system.

Jake

CarolinaBlazer

Premium Member
Jake, thanks alot for your quick response. I was afraid this was going to be the case. I checked the warranty and it was only good for 1 year. As far as a new fridge, do you have any advice as far as brands and/or models that you recommend, or any to avoid from a durability standpoint?

Thanks for the help!
Andrew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andrew,

I recommend Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Amana.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You bet Andrew.:)

Jake