MFF2558VEM4 Compressor never turns off

WNCFridger

Model Number
MFF2558VEM4
Brand
Maytag
story- took a chance on a used fridge for a rental house i'm remodeling. Got it home, plugged it in, the fridge turned on,, heard a couple of clicks and then it turned off. I trouble shot it a bit, decided on a new compressor relay. I got a new one, installed it and everything seems fine. It's been running in garage for over a week now, temps seem to be fine and all is well. The only thing i've noticed is that the compressor never shuts off.... it runs constantly. I ran all the diagnostic checks and everything seems fine. I even turned the temps the coldest setting, let it get really cold in there.... then I turned it down to the lowest setting thinking the compressor would kick off. It didn't.... it's constantly running and never turning off. This isn't normal is it?

any help would be greatly apprecaited

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the temperature in your garage?

If it's over 88 degrees all the time, it will run continually, that's normal, its having to work overtime in that heat.:)

Make sure the condenser coils are clean that will help a lot too. You'll need to pull the lower front kickplate grille off and you will see the black condenser coils underneath the refrigerator.

Get a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Cleaning Brush L304433062

Clean Out Tool 8171579A

Jake