FIXED MFI2067AEQ Maytag fridge random cooling

GBAB1973

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2067AEQ
Brand
Maytag
A few days I noticed the ice was melting in the ice maker, freezer items were softening and even items in fridge were getting warm.

I pulled the unit out and cleaned the vents, fan, etc. since there was dust and dog hair there.

Unit eventually went back to working and making ice. Until tonight, when I noticed the ice was melting again and items were soft in freezer. Fridge items were still cool. Not sure when the unit shut off but over last hour, it appears to be working again as temp is dropping in freezer and fridge.

Another thing. A few weeks ago I heard a random clicking coming from unit but it was random and the unit kept working. And even with clicking, I believe I could hear the fan and compressor working.

Could this be a bad relay switch that is failing periodically, which is why it works sometimes and seems to fail a couple times the last few days?

The unit is Maytag MFI2067. A French door fridge with freezer drawer at bottom and ice maker at top in fridge compartment.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I need the rest of your model number. Without it we're dead in the water. Sounds like the overload on the compressor is opening (click) and when it cools down, closing (click). Make sure the condensor fan is working and the condensor coils are clear.

GBAB1973

Premium Member
MFI2067AEQ

Is the condenser fan located in the rear next to the compressor? When I pulled the fridge out that fan was running.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, if the condensor fan, next to the compressor, is working and the condensor coils under the machine are clean, the relay/overload/start device may be weak and starting to fail. The overload in the start device will open if it gets too hot or if the compressor draws too much current. Use this diagram to measure the compressor windings. If they're within specs, replacing the start device should fix it:
R -Compressor Windings Test A.jpg

W10613606 Compressor Start Device

GBAB1973

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. After some research the relay seemed like a popular issue. I have a multimeter, so I will test tonight.

Just for clarification, I should touch the leads as described in chart, right? So
Common lead to Start lead and then Common lead to Run lead?

GBAB1973

Premium Member
Thanks. FWIW, came home and temp in freezer is 38. I hear a random but audible click even when the fan appears to be running.

Going to test the compressor leads and I have an appliance parts store near me where I can get a relay switch in AM.

GBAB1973

Premium Member
Rick, I pulled out the fridge, took out the plug and tested the compressor leads. It was awkward but there appeared to be matching resistances to that chart you linked.

I took out the relay and shook it as I had read if it clicks when shaking, it’s bad. Mine did not click. So I plugged everything back in and as I was putting on the panel, I could hear the click. Then a buzzing from the compressor and then a few seconds later another click and it appears the compressor stopped buzzing. It does it every couple of minutes. The compressor is also hot.

I am going to switch the relay and see what happens but is it possible it’s the compressor that’s shot?

Thanks again for the help.

GBAB1973

Premium Member
Is the click coming from the compressor??
No. It sounds like it is coming from the relay attached to compressor. Like I said it clicks, I hear a low buzz from the compressor, a few seconds later another click and the compressor stops buzzing.

Should I unplug the fridge altogether to prevent any damage to the compressor? It’s clicking a lot now.

One other note, the fridge seems to be working (cooling) but the freezer and ice maker is not.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
If the compressor windings test good, replace the start device. The start device contains the relay and overload. The click is the overload opening and closing.
R-OL-SD.jpg

Did you check each compressor pin to ground?

Last edited:

GBAB1973

Premium Member
Shoot, forgot to test to ground. What reading should I get when testing each pin to ground again?

Sorry I am asking so many questions.

rickgburton

Staff member
​ or Open circuit. Check each pin to the compressor body ground terminal. Ask as many questions as you want.

GBAB1973

Premium Member
Didn’t seem to be any shorts from any of the windings.

Plugged new compressor switch in....... compressor seems to be humming and the clicking stopped. Keeping fingers crossed. The compressor is very hot but I know they can run hot when working. I will wait an hour or so to see if temp starts to drop.

If this was the fix, thanks!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
The compressor is very hot but I know they can run hot when working.
Compressors normally run warm to very warm. A compressor that runs hot to extremely hot usually indicates a problem. High current or high temperatures will cause the overload to open.

....tested the compressor leads. It was awkward but there appeared to be matching resistances to that chart....
What were the measurements on the compressor windings?

GBAB1973

Premium Member
I wrote down the measurements but can’t find them. LOL. They were both in the range of the chart you linked for me earlier. I also eventually checked ground and it was fine.

But for now, I installed the new starter device and 7 hours later, fridge is cool, freezer is working and ice maker is making ice. I kept the back off for awhile checking to make sure fan would run when it should, no clicking noises coming from unit, etc.

I’ll keep an eye on it for now but fingers crossed your repair advice was spot on. Thank you very much!

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, it's very important to put the back, back on. The back directs the airflow from the condensor fan across the compressor and condensor coils. When it's off there's very little air flow.

GBAB1973

Premium Member
Yeah it’s back on and the fridge has been slid back into place for hours now. So far, so good.

Thanks again!