• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MFI2269VEM7 Ice maker has a mind of its own

Matt_L

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2269VEM7
Brand
Maytag
I have a 6 year old Maytag Double Door fridge. Specifically a MFI2269VEM7.

I’ve been having some problems with my ice maker and I’m hoping someone can give me some pointers. Originally the ice maker would make 3-4 trays and then stop. Thinking that was weird I unplugged it, pulled the ice maker unit out checked the lines for freezing and then plugged it back in and then 3-4 trays later it would stop again. I changed the fridge’s water filter. Then 3-4 trays later it stopped again. I changed the water inlet valve with a brand new one and then 3-4 trays later it stopped. Instead of unplugging my fridge every few hours to make ice I decided to change out the ice maker itself. Not the entire thing mind you, I swapped out the main ice maker (The tray with the heater, motor, wiring harness etc…) Now the damn thing just makes a tray of ice every couple days.

I thought about putting my old ice maker back in and calling a pro. Before I drop a couple hundred bucks Im wondering if anybody has any ideas.

I have also:
• Checked the feeder line for kinks
• The flow to the door’s front water tap works fine and seems to have adequate flow. Fills a glass in reasonable time.
• I ran the front tap for a good 10 minutes to get air out of the line

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Locate connectors J1 and J2 on the main control board. Use a DMM and check for 115 VAC across J1-8 and J2-8. After you measure the voltage do this:

1. Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad.

2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature Up Keypad.

3. Release the Door Alarm Keypad and wait 3 seconds.

4. The Freezer display will display SE confirming entry in the Service Mode.

5. Press the Refrigerator Up Keypad again to confirm entry in the Service Mode.

6. Display will show 101 in left display and numeric or dashes in right display.

7. Press Freezer Up Keypad and Freezer Down Keypad to toggle through Service Test numbers.

8. To exit service test mode, open and close refrigerator door or hold door alarm for 3 seconds.

Run the following tests:

Service Test - 192 Ice Maker State Test
• Display shows “dr” if left fresh food door switch is in the door open position.
• Display shows “OFF” if ice maker power switch is in the off position and door closed.
• Display shows “On” if the ice maker power switch is in the on position and the door closed and heater is off.
• Display shows “OnH” if icemaker power switch is in the on position and harvest heater is on and door closed.

Service Test - 193 Ice Maker Relay
• Press the Refrigerator Up Keypad or Refrigerator Down Keypad to toggle the ice maker relay On and OFF.

Matt_L

Premium Member
Hi Mr. Burton. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I do not have a multi meter. (I don’t know why either)

Regardless, I ran the tests you mentioned. Test 192 shows “on”. I cycled test 193 from off to on and nothing happened. I’m assuming my problem could be the main control board in the back of my fridge?

Also to note. On occasion I hear the water inlet valve run. But no water seems to run to the maker. I also hear the arm moving on occasion.

Last edited:

Matt_L

Premium Member
Thanks again! I'm going to grab a meter this weekend and do the rest of the testing before I order a new board. Also a great excuse to buy a meter. haha!

Matt_L

Premium Member
Morning! I opened up the panel in the back of the fridge and tested the terminals you mentioned while leaving everything hooked up and the fridge running. I'm getting 122 VAC.

I placed the leads from the DMM on the metal tabs inside the plastic connectors (see photo). Am I doing something wrong?

IMG_0208.jpg

Last edited:

Matt_L

Premium Member
That’s genius! Worked like a charm. Unfortunately still getting 120 VAC though

Matt_L

Premium Member
Update. I was testing it again and heard a click coming from the board area. Voltage dropped to 10 VAC. I unplugged the fridge, plugged it back in and back up to 120

Matt_L

Premium Member
Hello! I replaced the board last night and unfortunately it didn’t fix the problem. I hear it working but no water is getting to the maker. Could it be the wiring to the inlet valve?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Set your meter to measure AC volts and connect the meter to the water valve solenoid for the ice maker. Force a harvest cycle and check for 120 VAC at the end of the harvest cycle.

jimtheolet

Locate connectors J1 and J2 on the main control board. Use a DMM and check for 115 VAC across J1-8 and J2-8. After you measure the voltage do this:

1. Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad.

2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature Up Keypad.

3. Release the Door Alarm Keypad and wait 3 seconds.

4. The Freezer display will display SE confirming entry in the Service Mode.

5. Press the Refrigerator Up Keypad again to confirm entry in the Service Mode.

6. Display will show 101 in left display and numeric or dashes in right display.

7. Press Freezer Up Keypad and Freezer Down Keypad to toggle through Service Test numbers.

8. To exit service test mode, open and close refrigerator door or hold door alarm for 3 seconds.

Run the following tests:

Service Test - 192 Ice Maker State Test
• Display shows “dr” if left fresh food door switch is in the door open position.
• Display shows “OFF” if ice maker power switch is in the off position and door closed.
• Display shows “On” if the ice maker power switch is in the on position and the door closed and heater is off.
• Display shows “OnH” if icemaker power switch is in the on position and harvest heater is on and door closed.

Service Test - 193 Ice Maker Relay
• Press the Refrigerator Up Keypad or Refrigerator Down Keypad to toggle the ice maker relay On and OFF.
I did these tests and the ice make relay was off so I turned it on. Service test 192 the display showed OnH. Is that what should be on the display?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, that's what should be on the display.:)

This thread is over 2 years old, and since that time we have come to find out it is the ice maker that is the problem causing this issue.

These ice makers are prone to fail in sending 120 volts to the ice maker side of the water inlet valve. I already replaced 3 of there same ice maker kits for this exact same problem:
Do what I mentioned to do in my post #2 of that thread.

Your model uses the exact same ice maker kit as all my 3 that I fixed.

W10882923 Icemaker

Jake