• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MFI2568AEB Maytag Fridge Keypad Quit Responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggiediesel

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2568AEB
Brand
Maytag
I searched and saw that this question has been asked once before but there was no resolution to it so I'm going to ask again to see if I can figure out an answer.

I have an MFI2568AEB Maytag French Door Fridge Serial 10056129JP. A few months ago the button to switch btwn Ice and Water became slow to respond. Sometimes it would switch and sometimes it wouldn't respond to touch for a few days and then it would start working again. Now it seems that it won't switch at all and when I tried some of the other buttons like "max cool" or "vacation mode" there is no response. Everything seems to work fine in the fridge otherwise. It still makes ice, puts out water, freezes, cools, issues temp/door open alarms etc. I just can't switch btwn the two functions or initiate the other modes. I have not tried putting it into programming mode or performing any service tests listed in the manual b/c they didn't seem to correspond to my problem.

Is this the control board on the front failing, or the touch pad, or the main control board? A couple of years ago, after a power surge, I had to replace the main power control board on the back of the fridge, and I did so with an OEM Maytag/Amana part.

Are there any diagnostics that can be done to actually figure out what the problem is before I throw another couple hundred bucks at it? I am electrically competent and I have no trouble performing pin tests if this is necessary to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, from the information you posted, that tells me your touchpad is the culprit.

Here's the touchpad assembly for your model you can order:
W11221359 Cntrl-Elec

Its in-stock here:

To replace it, remove the drip tray, remove the two screws, and hold the door shut. With the other hand, grasp the bottom of the outer trim and yank out and slightly down. This will un-snap the display from the door. Now just lift up to unhook it from the trim. The unit should be disconnected from the power supply to prevent an electrical shock since 120Vac is behind this panel. The old touchpad will have to be peeled from the cover and the new one has peel off and stick installation. Be sure to remove all adhesive from the old part with rubbing alcohol before installing the new part and be careful to get it on straight since it will damage the new part to peel it back off once stuck on.

Keep us posted.

Jake

aggiediesel

Premium Member
Ok, Thanks for the support. I got the keypad in the mail a few days ago and bingo it all works again. Hardest part was peeling the old one off. I wouldn't have thought that a basic I/O device like a key pad would fail the way it did but there you have it, my problem was resolved by replacing the keypad. One thing to note, when I pulled out at the bottom of the trim, I had to wiggle it side to side to unsnap the side catches and then push up to get it to pop off. There is a catch on the top edge and top corners that keeps it all in place. Otherwise thanks for the expertise.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Fantastic, good gob, glad your back in business again.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.