• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MFI2568AES Ice and water dispenser not working

mgtiger

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2568AES
Brand
Maytag
The ice and water dispenser on our fridge has stopped working and I'm trying to troubleshoot the cause. I've read other posts where people had similar problems caused by the LV and/or HV boards, but they were also having other symptoms that I'm not having. When I depress the lever, nothing happens. No light, no sounds, nothing.

Everything else on the fridge seems to work fine. All the buttons respond fine and the ice door is not constantly opening and closing as others have described. When I cycle the power to the fridge, the water and ice works fine for a minute or two before stopping again. I've also visually inspected both the LV and HV boards and can't see any signs of failure. The capacitors don't appear to be blown and I can't see any other signs of trouble.

I'd appreciate any help on finding the cause of the problem. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's a good question Rick, I'm interested to hear his answer.

I only found one other thread that had this problem: Ice maker/water switch not working

But they never replied back, I posted the service manual for this model in that thread.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The service test functions are performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Service Test Mode by performing the following sequence of events:

Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad.

Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature Up/+ Keypad.

Release the Door Alarm Keypad and wait 3 seconds.

The Freezer display will display SE confirming entry in the Service Mode. Press the Refrigerator Up Keypad again to confirm entry in the Service Mode.

Display will show 101 in left display and numeric or dashes in right display.

Press Freezer Up Keypad and Freezer Down Keypad to toggle through Service Test numbers.

Run these service tests:

Service Test 163 Water Dispenser= Display shows the state of the water valve (ON or OFF). Push the actuator pad to control the state of the water valve.

Service Test 171 Actuator Pad state (ON or OFF).

mgtiger

Premium Member
I ran the service tests you recommended, and the fridge responded correctly to both tests. As I depressed the actuator pad, the display correctly changes from off to on and back. Under the water dispenser test, I was getting water in my cup. As soon as I exited service mode, everything stopped working again. Thanks Rick.

mgtiger

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, I'm still a little confused on the difference between the 12920710 board and the W10310240 board. My serial number starts with 10 so does that mean I should use the 12920710 board or am I reading something wrong?

Carbon13

Premium Member
I have this exact issue as described above. Ran the test and yes, got water dispensing but as soon as it is out of service mode there's nothing.

Some background: for a while now, the flap on the ice dispenser would get "stuck" and cycle open and close until I forced it to stop and then cycle it one more time. But now, there's no ice or water dispensing at all. There is an audible click when I push the activating lever but nothing after that.

So, my question is this: Is this just the main control board issue or is there more at play hear? Worth fixing or buy new fridge?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like just the board. The board will set you back about three bills and has a one year warranty so it might be worth fixing if you haven't had any other issues with the refrigerator.

Carbon13

Premium Member
Sounds like just the board. The board will set you back about three bills and has a one year warranty so it might be worth fixing if you haven't had any other issues with the refrigerator.
Thanks Rick! Can you confirm that I have the right board for my fridge?

Carbon13

Premium Member
Also, my fridge is now totally not working (ie. not cooling). Could this be related to the board?

Carbon13

Premium Member
Not sure if the compressor is running or not. I will listen for it but is there a way to test this?

Carbon13

Premium Member
Replaced the board and I think it's all good now. Water is working. Just waiting for it to cool right down but seems to be working now. Thanks for the help!