• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MFI2568AES Maytag Icemaker: Water Leaks into Ice Tray and Freezes There

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoggyDog

Model Number
MFI2568AES
Brand
Maytag
This model is a double-door with pull-out freezer compartment below, delivering water and ice through the left door. The icemaker is at the top left of the upper section, not in the freezer compartment below.

Several months ago, a very bad "jack-leg" electrician (whose bill I later got nullified by the president of his company) pulled the fridge away from the wall to check a nearby receptacle. Unbeknownst to me until many weeks later, when he pushed it back, he failed to re-clip the plastic water supply line up onto the mid-back of the fridge where it had been clipped when he pulled it out. Consequently, the line kinked, and both water and ice stopped being delivered through the door. After unkinking the line, I carefully checked all around it and the inlet fittings for leaks, and there was not one drop of water leaking anywhere- so I reinforced the kinked spot by taping it to make it more rigid, re-clipped it where it should have been clipped by the electrician, and carefully pushed the fridge back, making sure there were no kinks. Although the line had never leaked or been disconnected, meaning I didn't think any air could have gotten into the system, I made sure to bleed the system anyway by running several pitchers of water out of the through-the-door spigot. I changed the filter while I was at it, and I heard the icemaker fill up, so I thought the problem was solved.

The icemaker now makes and delivers ice correctly into the tray. However, it ALSO deposits some liquid water into the ice tray, which promptly freezes in the tray and creates icicles along the bottom front edge of the icemaker tray. It also immobilizes the spiral ice cube mover under about a quarter inch of ice. Since the ice cube screw can't move, I can't get ice through the door.

I have read several similar leaking-icemaker threads here and elsewhere, but all of them are stating that NO ice is being made, which is different than my problem. Ice IS being made, and all would be well if I could just stop the icemaker from leaking water into the tray and freezing up my ice cube screw.

Any ideas other than paying Sears $300 plus parts at 150% of retail for a $100 tech visit?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like your water inlet valve is not closing all the way, thus leaking water into the ice maker tray.

Here's the parts diagram that shows you where its located: Parts for Maytag MFI2568AES: Ref Light / Water Tank / Filter / Valve Parts

Its #15 in the parts diagram.

Here it is, you can order it:
67006322 Valve, Dual Water

Here's some access help:
1. Turn water off to unit.
2. Disconnect water line that supplies water tank from water supply.
3. Remove crispers and shelves from right side of fresh food compartment.
4. Remove covers on back bulkhead by inserting screwdriver in slots to release tabs.
5. Disconnect water line from outlet of tank to inlet of water valve by pressing tubing collar in and pulling water tube out of valve.

Jake

lkrs42

Premium Member
HoggyDog, did the recommendation work? I'm having the exact same problem. The referral recommended Whirlpool parts. I assume they work with Maytag?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Whirlpool owns Maytag. So that water inlet is the correct one for model number MFI2568AES.:)

HoggyDog may not respond because this thread is 3 years old.

Do you have the exact same model number MFI2568AES?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Yes, Its either the water inlet valve or the ice maker itself telling the water inlet valve to overfill the ice maker.

You can narrow it down by turning the water off to your refrigerator and see if the water leak stops, if so, that indicates your water inlet valve is not closing all the way.

Your model uses this water inlet valve here, you can order if needed:
WPW10312696 Valve-Inlt

Also, When you hear the ice maker cycle open the freezer door and watch it cycle(you may need to hold in the freezer door switch to watch it cycle) and when it fills with water see if water is dripping down, if so the ice maker is overfilling itself and a new ice maker would fix that.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order, if needed:
WPW10300024 Icemaker

Jake

lkrs42

Premium Member
Well, I just replaced the water inlet valve for $70, turned on the ice maker, and within 30 minutes there was another pool of water inside my ice tray. So I'm guessing my ice maker itself is now the culprit?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't understand what you mean by another pool of water inside your ice tray, does it not freeze and turn to ice? What's the temperature inside you freezer?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It takes a good 90 minutes for the ice to freezer and the ice maker to cycle the ice out, this is if your freezer temperature is between 0 to 10 degrees.

Jake

lkrs42

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for taking the time to address my issues.

So, the ice maker has always made ice. No problem. The temperature has been the same the last 2 years since I've owned the fridge. The problem I was having was that water would spill into the ice TRAY after the ice was made and fell in, and then that water would freeze on top of the ice cubes and then freeze over the entire thing, making a big block of ice that was not dispensable, and wouldn't let the thing rotate to spit out the ice. Within minutes of me replacing the valve, and turning it on, there was standing water inside the ice TRAY. Then this morning, I woke up to find a big puddle of water on the kitchen floor because the water had froze the door open, and all new water dripping down came right through the opening. This is after I replaced the INLET VALVE. So my guess is, the inlet valve wasn't the problem, and that the ice maker itself is the problem. The water had been on over the past few months, but the ice maker was turned off, and no water was coming into the system. But after turning it back on last night after replacing the valve, the problem still exists.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it! Now I'm clear, thanks.

Yes, the problem would be the ice maker telling it to overfill.

What was throwing me off was you said water in the ice tray and not ice that was already in there.:)

In fact, you could just order the ice maker module, you'd save over $100 compared to a $200 new ice maker.

Here's the ice maker module for your model you can order:
8201515 Icemaker Motor Module

There is a "how to" video in the ice maker module part link.

Jake

lkrs42

Premium Member
Jake,

So it's just the motor module of the whole ice maker that's causing the malfunction?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, over time the module circuit strip wears and tells the ice maker to overfill itself.

But if your ice maker is over 5 years old, its best to replace the whole ice maker, as the tray molding on it can start chipping and flaking the older it gets.

Here's the complete ice maker for your model you can order:
WPW10300024 Icemaker

Jake

Justin Hobbs

Premium Member
Maytag Model # MCD2257HES

Hello my Maytag Model # MCD2257HES is having the same issue. It produces ice, but has a leak that flows in to the ice bucket and eventually creates a large block of ice. It looks like I need to replace the ice maker...can you confirm that is the best course of action?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Justin, you will need to replace your ice maker too.

Your model takes a different ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
D7824706Q Replacement Icemaker

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Justin, yes it should fix it, I've replaced many ice makers for this same problem on my service calls.

Jake

Firechief019

Premium Member
I had the same problem with a Maytag MN MFI2269VEM10 with the ice freezing in the bin from water overflowing from the ice maker. Just paid $350 to a repair service to replace the water valve and the ice maker. It is still doing the same thing. The repair shop says I must have low water pressure, that the valve uses water pressure to close it. I checked my water pressure and it is 50 psi at the sink next to the refrigerator. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The repair shop says I must have low water pressure, that the valve uses water pressure to close it.
Too low water pressure??? Nope to both. Your water pressure is fine at 50 psi, that's where mine is at in my house and my ice maker works great!

The water inlet valve has a solenoid in it that shuts the water off, its not the water pressure that shuts it off.

Did the repair shop first try to adjust the fill time lower first per the adjustment water fill screw on the ice maker module?

The front cover can removed from the icemaker, usually a small flat screwdriver can be used to pry off the front cover.

This will adjust the water fill time a little more or a little less water fill time, it will NOT compensate for huge over filling problems.

This is where the module style water adjustment screw is located:
(click to enlarge)
waterfilladjustment2.JPG

Turning the set screw clockwise decreases the water fill. 1/2 turn = approx 20cc of water. No more than one full turn in either direction or damage to the module could occur.

Did the repair shop offer a refund since it did not fix the problem? If not, I'd press them for a refund or have them come back out to fix it properly if the fill screw adjustment won't fix it.

The problem can only be the ice maker calling for too much water if the water keeps overfilling the ice maker tray.

Jake

Firechief019

Premium Member
Hi Jake, Thanks for the quick response. I never saw him make any adjustments to the screw. I just removed the cover and turned it 90° as you said. I will see what happens tomorrow morning and let you know. We live in a motorhome full time. I called the service tech to tell him the problem continued, but he couldn't get to us before we had to leave. Just one of those problems when you're living the dream. I'll be in touch tomorrow. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.