• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MFI2568AES Maytag Icemaker: Water Leaks into Ice Tray and Freezes There

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know what happens.

Jake

Firechief019

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
This morning there was less water/frozen ice blocks in the bin, but still some present. I turned the the screw another 1/2 turn clockwise. When I returned this evening, there was still some ice blocks, but maybe just a little less. According to your post that's as far as I should adjust the screw. The fact that it made it better makes me think I'm on track. Any other ideas? I appreciate you following through for me. Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike, then it has to be a bad ice maker they replaced, nothing else can cause this.

Have them come back to exchange the ice maker.

Nevermind, I remember you said your in your motorhome.

I don't know what else to suggest Mike.

This refrigerator is in your motorhome? Are you using your self contained water pressure? Or using the RV parks water pressure?

Jake

Firechief019

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I'm using RV Park water with 50 PSI. Even went to the Maytag site and they said to measure water coming out of
the water dispenserr to be sure at least 1 cup in 8 seconds. I get 1-1/2 cups in 8 seconds, so it's not a pressure/volume problem.
I went ahead and tried turning the adjustment screw until it hit the stop and it just keeps spinning. I think either he didn't put the new icemaker in, or the new icemaker is no good. I guess I'll try getting another service to replace it again unless you have any other ideas.
Thanks for your help,
Mike

Firechief019

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
He brought in a couple boxes which I assumed were the valve and the icemaker. I didn't want to be an over the shoulder coaches and watch him, so I sat up front and read a book. He was muttering something about the new icemaker had some changes that needed to be modified to fit my fridge. It has me wondering now.

I noticed you sent me the part number for the icemaker. Is replacing the icemaker something possible for a moderately skilled person can do? If not I'll contact another service when we get somewhere to stay for a week or so.

Thanks again for all your time. All the best to you.
Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Mike, its fairly easy. When you click the part link to the ice maker I posted above, you will see a video that gives you the general idea of how to replace it.

If you've fixed other things around your house before you bought the motorhome, then it should be no problem.

Jake

Firechief019

Premium Member
Hello Jake,
Mike here again. I ordered and received the replacement icemaker (Part Number D7824706Q) from Appliance Parts Pros. I just got time to remove the assembly and do the replacement. The problem is, the replacement part won't fit. The lower part where the heater is, is wider than the old part and won't fit. I called APP and they confirmed that according to my Refrigerator Model Number (MFI2269VEM10) the icemaker should fit. It is very obvious that it will not. If you recall, I had a repair tech replace the icemaker and had the same problem with water overflowing into the tray and we questioned whether he really replaced it. Well, when I pulled the icemaker, the Model Number is W10190978 with a manufacturing date of 12/5/17. Since we bought the refrigerator with the motorhome in 2014, he obviously replaced it.

So now I'm in a quandary. I called APP and gave them the Model Number of the current icemaker. They will accept the return of the incorrect part can send me a new icemaker that crosses over to the Model Number of the unit currently in my refrigerator for $214 + shipping, double the cost of the original part. I have several concerns: How can I be sure that he did not install an incorrect icemaker and now if I order using that number I get another incorrect part? Now that we know he did replace the icemaker, if I order another one, how do I know that this will fix my original problem since his replacement of the icemaker and the valve did not fix it?

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike,

The manufacturer has replaced part number W10190978 with part number D7824706Q.

It should fit, I've replaced many and all fit perfect.

I really don't know what else to suggest, except call another tech. to come out to see what's going on when you get to your final destination.

Jake

Firechief019

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
The new icemaker can't fit. The bottom of the new one where the heater coil is located is about 3" wide. The old one is less than 2" wide, so the new one won't fit all the way down in the plastic cradle. When I called APP to get the RMA, they looked it up with my Model and Serial Number (K41503049) and said the one they sent was incorrect and said they have a new one for $60+. I don't want to take it apart again to find out it's wrong, so I'm returning the part and contacted a repair service where we are heading. I explained my tale of woe to him so the tech will hopefully know what to do
Thanks for following up with me.
Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm extremely confused.

Mike here again. I ordered and received the replacement icemaker (Part Number D7824706Q) from Appliance Parts Pros. I just got time to remove the assembly and do the replacement. The problem is, the replacement part won't fit. The lower part where the heater is, is wider than the old part and won't fit.
That is the correct part --->Part Number D7824706Q

Are you saying when you opened that box they sent it was NOT Part Number D7824706Q? But the box did say on it Part Number D7824706Q?

Jake

Firechief019

Premium Member
Hi Jake
Quick update. The replacement icemaker from APP is enroute to them for credit. Before I reinstalled the icemaker that the tech installed, I remembered the little adjustment screw on the side and how I could not get it to a stop. I pulled that cover off and sure enough, the copper collar that engages the screw was bent away so it did not move with the screw. I bent the collar around the screw, adjusted it all the way clockwise and voila, no more water in the icemaker tray. It's been 24 hours and it still works great, so hopefully end of story. Thanks again for your assistance.
Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hmm, that's odd, that screw is just for adjusting the fill amount in the ice maker tray, it shouldn't keep leaking water in the tray like you were describing in your 1st. post back in April of 2015, oh wait, you jumped into this thread at post#18 back in August 2018 and I talked about that fill adjustment screw in post#19.

But its odd that both your old a new ice maker were doing the exact same thing, that fill adjustment screw is set at the factory and shouldn't be moved, unless its not putting enough water in, or putting too much water in.

I think I know what happened, your original ice maker was bad because overtime the fill circuit strip wears and it makes the ice maker overfill and leak, so the 2nd ice maker that tech installed, the copper collar and screw were bent away so it did not move with the screw, thus overfilling and leaking still.

Now I got it.:)

Thanks Mike.:)

It gets kinda confusing when multiple folks jump in the same thread.:)

I'm closing this thread. If anyone else wants to refer to this thread just post a link to it in a NEW THREAD.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.