Status
Not open for further replies.

mom3

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2568AES
Brand
Maytag
It seems the flap on my Maytag French Door Frig, MFI2568AES, is stuck on the water/ice dispenser. After some research, I hope I have deduced correctly that the actuator and/or spring is broken. But being a rookie DIYer, I cannot even figure out how to remove the dispenser. Is this something I can do myself?:(

mom3

Premium Member
Sorry, just to clarify, when a cup is pushed on the flap, there is no click, no sound. It had been sporadically working but then got to the point where we really had to hit the flap a certain way to get ice or water. Now when we push on it.... nothing. It has officially given up the ghost. I'm hoping this is something I can tackle myself, providing that I find the part here in Houston.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I haven't worked on this model as of yet, but it sure sounds like the problem is the actuator switch or the ice paddle dispenser lever thats broken where it should engage the switch.

Here's the service manual for it, it show you how to open up the dispenser to get to and access these parts: www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16026312.pdf

Unfortunately you can't get the switch separately, you have to get the chute extension assembly:
Whirlpool WPW10131128 Chute, Extension

Here's the paddle lever if thats broken:
Whirlpool W10131124 Paddle, Disp. Yoke

Jake

mom3

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks so much. Is this something a rookie DIYer can do or should I cut my losses and call in the professionals?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its your choice, I always say if you've fixed other things around your house then you can do can do this yourself, if your leery about doing it, yes call Maytag to come out.

Jake

mom3

Premium Member
Jake,
I really appreciate your insight. It is very helpful and I love this blog! I am now worried I may need to get a new flap and chute assembly or actuator itself... so It's a call to the profressionals for me!!!

Many thanks,
Mom3

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted on what they replace to fix it.:)

Jake

mom3

Premium Member
Just a quick followup. Repairman diagnoses the actual WPW10131124 Paddle, Disp as being the problem. Replaced it for $150.00. Pricey but I know I couldn't have done that work myself and well worth it to have the water and ice functions back!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thanks for the update.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.