FIXED MFI2568AES Maytag refrigerator not getting water

boatman37

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2568AES
Brand
Maytag
Hello. I have a Maytag MFI2568AES refrigerator that i bought new in 2007. A few years later the water dispenser on the door quit working but i didn't worry about it. A couple of months ago the ice maker quit working. Probably just coincidental but my water lines froze in my attached garage about the same time this happened but i have no idea how they could be related. So the other day i ordered a new water valve and installed it tonight but still have no water. i disconnected the water lines at the valve and turned the water on. i have water flow going into the new valve and also coming out of the valve. i do not have a filter but have the bypass. i pulled that off and water will come out of it. when you hit the flapper on the door you can hear the water valve clicking so assuming that is fine even though it is brand new. If i manually pour water into the ice tray it will freeze and dispense into the tray and the auger works.

I also pulled the output lines off the valve and blew through them so they aren't blocked. The 'cam' lever inside the ice maker moves freely so that isn't the issue. I'm stumped? Any ideas? Thanks!

boatman37

Premium Member
Update: I installed the filter I received with it when I bought it but never used it (had the bypass). I just went and removed the filter and it was still empty. I reinstalled it but turned it further this time. Now my water dispenser works and I got water in my ice tray so it may be fixed. I will be sure update this thread either way.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi boatman,

Yes, you have to turn it further even though you think you have it just right, that happened to me a few years ago myself.:)

Here's the water filter for this model in case others need it too:

Water Filter EDR4RXD1

Yes, let us know.:)

Jake

boatman37

Premium Member
So far so good. Not sure what the problem was. Pretty sure the multi valve wasn't the problem. Can that blue bypass go bad? I had never had that off until yesterday so it has been on there for 10 years. Seemed like it started working after I installed the filter the 2nd time when I turned it further. The filter I put in was the one that came with the fridge but we have good city water so don't need it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can that blue bypass go bad?
Never seen one go bad.:)

Sounds like your good to go.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its a mystery, but like you said it was probably because you turned the filter more, like it wasn't in all the way.

Jake

boatman37

Premium Member
Yeah. Just not sure why it didn't work with the bypass? Anyway, it's working now so I'll go with that...lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh, I see what your saying now about the bypass one not working, yes that's very strange, I really don't either, never run across that before on my service calls.

Jake

boatman37

Premium Member
Could it have been there was an air pocket in the line? Maybe after I installed the new valve there was air and it took awhile to work it's way out and just a coincidence that it started working after I changed the filter?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its hard to say unless it keeps doing it.

Jake

I have the same issue as above exactly. I have replaced the water valve one time 2 yrs ago when water and ice stopped flowing. so i tried the same approach. turned out it wasnt the valve in the back and reinstalled the old one. still no water, no ice . the valve makes all theh noises,all the lights go on the the flappers open and close. I ran a nylon cable throughh the whole system so no frozen blockages still no water or ice. Ice machine still calls for water every 3-4 hrs...nothing...frustrated

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the exact same model number? The model number tag is inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

If so, By-pass your refrigerator water filter to see if the water starts flowing normally again, if so, then either your filter is clogged up and you'd need to replace it, or your filter housing is bad causing the no water flow.

You will need to install your blue filter by-pass cap. It should of come with your refrigerator.

Here is the filter by-pass cap for this model:
Water Filter Bypass Plug WP12664501

Here's the water filter for this model:
EDR4RXD1 FILTER4, Single, Turn

Jake

JWR

Greetings. I am having the same issue. I have the same Model # refrigerator and same water filter (replaced the filter a few months ago) as posted in the photo. Several months ago the water dispenser slowed to a trickle, but we did not get too concerned as the ice still worked and the fridge is near the sink.

A couple of weeks ago the ice maker stopped producing ice (over the past month or two the amount of ice steadily decreased). When I push the water paddle a small trickle comes out, and when I set it to ice and push the paddle I can heard the auger turning in the ice maker.

Two days ago I disconnected the water line from the back of the fridge in order to ensure that my water line from under the cabinets to the fridge was cleared, and it is. It has a good flow. I hooked it back up to the fridge and then disconnected the water line above the left door hinge.

When I depressed the paddle water trickled out of the line above the hinge. So, it seems the issue is somewhere inside the fridge between the water inlet on the back and the water line on the door hinge, but I have no way of getting to the back of the fridge - nor am I competent in my mechanical abilities to take it apart/put it back together. In a last ditch effort, I thought maybe the water line was frozen, so I emptied everything out of the fridge, unplugged it, and let it sit open over night so any ice would melt.

This morning, it seems that was't the issue as there is still barely a trickle coming from the dispenser. I saw the comments above and removed and reinstalled the water filter, attempting to turn it a bit further, but that seems to not have had any effect. We rent the home and the homeowner does not have the original filter bypass plug.

I'd appreciate any help you can provide before I ask the homeowner to have a repairman sent out.

Thanks,

JWR

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi JWR,

It sounds like possibly the filter head has gone bad, but without bypassing it first, it's almost impossible to know for sure.

Here's the filter head assembly for your model:
WP12956202 Water Tank/head Assy.

Jake