• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MFI2665XEB5 Maytag refrigerator start relay/compressor intermittently shutting off

aces79

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2665XEB5
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag french door fridge that is about 7 years old. I bought it brand new. 2 weeks after I got it, the compressor stopped working. I called Maytag and they told me to unplug it and plug it back in. That got the compressor going again, but they said the start relay was bad so they replaced it. Since then, it's had FIVE relays put in it. The compressor still randomly shuts off even after putting a new relay in. It always restarts fine if you unplug it and plug it back in. Problem is, we usually don't notice it has stopped until water is dripping out the door from the ice melting.

It did it again last night. This time I woke up to find the ice melting, my milk and tea barely cold and some of my frozen food 80% thawed.

It is not under warranty anymore.

Why does it keep doing this? Is it really a bad relay or is it a problem with the compressor?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Is it really a bad relay or is it a problem with the compressor?

More information is needed before that determination can be made. If either of those things was the cause only the compressor would stop, the fans (inside and outside) would continue to run.

When you find it not cooling, are the fans running or not?

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
the compressor and fans are both off.

Than it's not the compressor or the relay, it's the control system shutting it off.

Unfortunately that model shows two separate electronic control used and both are very expensive.

LINK > Electronic Control replaces W10120821

LINK > Electronic Control replaces W10438707

I don't have access to the unit's 'tech sheet' (# W10444666) to see how to troubleshoot it. You could try locating the one on the appliance to see if it would help. It might be tucked inside the kickplate to taped in an envelope under the fridge cabinet.

Dan O.

PS. You don't need to quote my whole message to reply.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, don't think I've ever run across that before.

Here's the tech. data sheet Dan, I'm attaching it below.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10444666 - Rev B.pdf
    303.6 KB · Views: 67

aces79

Premium Member
So, do you think the control system has been bad this whole time?

I don't think it's the relay simply because you can put a new relay in and 2 weeks later the compressor will stop again.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
do you think the control system has been bad this whole time?

I don't know the total symptoms previuosly. A relay (I assume you mean the compressor relay) would only affect the operation of the compressor. Nothing else. If the fans were shutting off then too, it would have been something other than the compressor relay that was responsible.

I would hope a service technician would know enough to tell the difference. Was the problem actually occurring while he was there checking it out? If not, he might have had to guess and without accurate symptoms...

I'll look at the tech sheet when I get a minute, to see if I can figure out possibilities.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
That's very odd, don't think I've ever run across that before.

Thanks for the sheet. It might just be different versions of that model use different components. I'll look closer when I get a chance. Things can get sketchy with these online parts lists sometimes. I do prefer to look things up on fiche myself.

Dan O.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan, sounds good.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If it was one of the boards shutting everything down, it looks like the main board is likely the one responsible for their operation. It'll be pretty difficult to determine that for certain unless it was occurring at the time of service.

LINK > Electronic Control replaces W10438707

Dan O.