MFT2673BEM Maytag Ice Bin/ Ice Maker Stops making ice

nfran2

Premium Member
Model
MFT2673BEM
Brand
Maytag
I had to replace my complete ice dispensing bucket for my Maytag MFT2673BEM side by side refrigerator (bottom freezer). I replaced it with a factory Maytag unit #WPW10347093. At first it would make ice, so I unplugged it and within a couple hours started making ice again.
In the last couple of weeks, it seems like the ice bin is dripping water and freezing in the dispenser causing it not to produce ice once again. I then have to take the ice dispenser out, thaw it completely, dry it, unplug the fridge and the cycle of ice making starts all over again.What do I need to check to resolve this issue?
By the way, I am not a repair man but handy with various things around the house.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What was the problem with your original ice container bucket?

Was the ice maker working fine before you replaced the ice container bucket?

Here's the ice container bucket for your model:
WPW10347093 Ice-Contnr

At first it would make ice, so I unplugged it and within a couple hours started making ice again.
You meant to say: At first it WOULDN'T make ice, so I unplugged it and within a couple hours started making ice again?

Jake

nfran2

Premium Member
Jake, The original Ice bin somehow had a hole int he side of the container. I replaced it with exactly the part you recommend. The ice maker worked flawlessly since it was new about 5 years. It seems that there is water entering the ice bin where the cubes are stored which causes the ice dispenser to not function. I have to remove the ice bin and clear out the existing ice packs then replace the ice bin. It'll work one or 2 ice cycles producing ice, then jam up and not function. How is water possibly getting into the ice bin?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Water could be overflowing the ice maker tray and coming into the ice container bucket, but it strikes me odd that this only showed after you replaced the ice container bucket. Doesn't it you?

Jake

nfran2

Premium Member
Jake, what is odd is how the hole in the ice bin got there in the first place. My theory is that the water might have been overflowing well before the part was replaced. The ice bin was actually frozen to the bottom of the area that the bin sits in. When water freezes, it expands so it literally could have punch a hole in the side of the container.

There was no misuse or abuse of the ice maker, only me and my wife in our house. Could there be a coincidental failure of the water valve perhaps that doesn't shut itself off for a few seconds after it fills the ice tray? My goal is to try and figure out from this point how to get the whole ice maker system working perfectly again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

So when the ice maker is turned OFF it doesn't leak into the ice container bucket?

Only when the Ice Maker is ON it leaks?

When the ice maker is ON and running can you hear the ice maker fill with water? If so, right after it fills take the ice container bucket out and see if water is in it, also look for water leaks where your ice maker sits at.

Yes, its possibly leaking from your dual water inlet valve.

Here's the dual water inlet valve for your model:
WPW10341329 Valve Assy-Water Dual

Here's the service manual for your model: Dropbox - RF990SLAM WRF990SLAW KFIS29BBB KFIS29BBWH MFT2976AEB WRF759SLAF WRF759SLAB French Door Bottom Mount Dual Evap Service Manual.pdf

Page 5-6 shows you how to access/replace the dual water inlet valve.

Jake

nfran2

Premium Member
Jake, sorry for the delay, out of town last week. How do I run diagnostics on the ice maker itself? I want to be sure of the problem before simply replacing parts. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I need the serial number of your refrigerator first to tell you.

The serial number is on the model number tag inside the refrigerator section on the upper cabinet walls or ceiling.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, what city are you in?

Are you in the UK?

That serial number is not a USA serial number.

If your in the UK, we can't help you here, you'd need to search google for a appliance repair forum closer to where you live.

Jake