• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MFX2571XEM2 Maytag Refrigerator low water dispensing

mu5ic92

Premium Member
Model Number
MFX2571XEM2
Brand
Maytag
Hello all hope to get some help regarding my maytag MFX2571XEM2 and an issue with water dispensing very very slow. After some research I went ahead and bought a water reservoir for replacement but when installing noticed that the water reservoir that was installed has a plastic end on it and connects into the water inlet valve WPW10270395 (attempting to attach an actual picture of the setup) which is located in the bottom back of the fridge.

The water reservoir replacement that I purchased is W10502642 but when you take off the red cap that comes at the end of the hose its a metal end. The only way that I see me being able to use this reservoir is to bypass the water inlet valve located in the lower back of the refrigerator completely which suspect isnt recommended since it must have some use. any input is much appreciated and I am happy to provide anymore information.

picture of where the plastic currently installed water reservoir connects to the water inlet valve.

water-inlet.jpg

Picture of purchased part
20200511_110955.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, On this model you have 2 water valves, the smart valve is in the very back of your refrigerator, the water valve is inside the refrigerator section.

Here's the link to your service manual for your model: Dropbox - 8178777 R-109 2009 27_ French Door IDI.pdf

Start reading at page 4-10 to access your water valve inside the refrigerator section.

Here's the water valve inside the refrigerator section:
WP12956105 Valve

You can also watch this video to access it:

Then read the instructions that came with your new water reservoir replacement to install it.

Jake

mu5ic92

Premium Member
Thank you for the response. So for this issue im having is it still recommended to swap out the water reservoir? If so then the reservoir connects to both the internal valve and the smart valve mentioned before. The issue I have is that the new resovoir end cannot connect to the smart water valve as there is no metal end to hook it on to. The only way I see is connecting would be bypassing the smart water valve entirely.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I don't know the answer to that question, as I have not replaced this reservoir before on this model. And the service manual does not mention it either.

Hopefully another tech that has replaced this can shed some light on it for us.

Did you NOT get instructions with the new reservoir? It should've come with instructions!

Jake