• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MFX2876DRM00 Could I have a closed system failure?

jgw9449

Premium Member
Model Number
MFX2876DRM00
Brand
Maytag
Hello all. I have the above French door model maytag. This weekend it stopped making ice. Today while troubleshooting I noticed that neither the Fridge nor Freezer compartment are cooling as they should. I ordered the tech manual and have ran through several tests and a manual defrost. No luck. When doing the diagnostic compressor test the compressor (D/C invert) runs through its full speed range.

I have tested the 120 going into the inverter as good. The 12v control going into the inverter as good. The compressor has continuity through all leads. My issues sound suspiciously like those experienced by the models covered by Technical Service Pointer #: W10666205A which I read over on the whirlpool forum. Since this is just a retagged whirlpool seems reasonable this is possible.

I know closed system repairs/replacements usually mean unit replacement, so I just want to see if anyone sees something I'm missing. TIA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Ok, lets check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils inside the freezer, just remove the back panel inside the freezer to access them.

Then look at the photos below and tell me which one it looks like.

(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

You have a 10 year warranty on the compressor.

SECOND THROUGH TENTH YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
(COMPRESSOR ONLY - LABOR NOT INCLUDED)
In the second through tenth years from the date of original
purchase, when this major appliance is installed, operated
and maintained according to instructions attached to or
furnished with the product, Maytag will pay for a factory
specified replacement compressor to correct non-cosmetic
defects in materials or workmanship in this part that prevent
function of the refrigerator and that existed when this major
appliance was purchased. This limited 10-year warranty is
for the compressor only and does not include labor

Jake

jgw9449

Premium Member
Fixed (fingers crossed)....so after running through every major cooling related test on the service specs....I ran down to the local supply house and bought a tap valve...threw my gauges on suction line....sure enough maybe .5lb of gas (5-8 nominal per specs)....slowly recharged and we seems to be working....clearly there is a leak....how big or where remains a mistery at this point....I am told that this unit like other whirlpools are prone to leaks from the change of brazing to compression sealing of the closed system (doubt whirlpool will ever just say so)....I plan to put a can of proseal v/s in will a little refrigerant flush and see what kind of mileage I get out of that....I may end up needing dye and tracking down a large leak but I’m gonna start small....in any event I’m not having to trash a 2yr old 2500 fridge (today)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I am told that this unit like other whirlpools are prone to leaks from the change of brazing to compression sealing of the closed system
I don't know who told you that, but since I started my appliance repair career in 1987, I find very few have leaks, and I've been on thousands of Whirlpool and Maytag service calls since 1987.

The most common problem on the Whirlpool and Maytag where the compressor start relays going out.

Yes you will need to find the leak and fix the leak, then you must replace the filter drier, before you vacuum and recharge.:)

Jake

jgw9449

Premium Member
However, I was having the exact same symptoms as those ones on that service bulletin. So, for them to address a quality issue that seems an awful lot like a loss of refrigerant makes me suspicious as this unit is exactly like those covered by that service bulletin. Also for other reading as I'm sure Jake knows this is a D/C compressor hence no starter relay all electronic control from mother board. Anyways does seem to be better with new gas so now to see how big the leak is (how long before trouble again)...Thanks for this forum and you help kind sir

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, per that service bulletin there was a issue with some of the Whirlpool and Maytag models.

But I don't see your model number listed in that service bulletin in post#4 here: FIXED: WRF989SDAE01 Whirlpool Gold French Door Not Making Ice, freezer not cold enough?

I'm sure Jake knows this is a D/C compressor hence no starter relay all electronic control from mother board
Yes, sir Jake knows all about it my friend.:)

I ran down to the local supply house and bought a tap valve
Are you a licensed refrigeration tech?

Jake

jgw9449

Premium Member
No sir. Just a guy who's found its easier to read and ask questions, then it is to get someone qualified to come out to the boons to work on your stuff and do it right. I've had to do a lot of reading about things after owning property and having people come that obviously don't know what they are doing. Sadly it is getting very difficult to find qualified, honest and reliable trades help. You sir are a dying breed I'm afraid. I called the supply house to make sure they would sell me the tap valve before I wasted my time. Had already ordered one from Enviro-safe but didn't want to wait for it to be shipped. Those $100 gauges have probably saved me 4K in new equipment. My evapcoil had a leak this summer and those and can of Easy seal direct inject have saved me a new evap and putting a bunch of R-22 out in the world. I bought them to self-install a mini-split unit in some property I had. More story than you wanted. Sorry and thanks again