• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MFX2876DRM02 frozen evaporator coils

xtapper

Premium Member
Model Number
MFX2876DRM02
Brand
Maytag
Hey, I'm having some trouble with my fridge. Originally, there was a massive block of ice behind the drawer compartment that kept it from closing it completely. I manually defrosted it twice, but it's still building back up slowly. I haven't tested any components of the evaporator circuit yet. I'm trying to get the fridge to enter forced defrost mode to see if the heater even works but can't find how to do that on this fridge model. Any ideas how to engage that?

I think the service diagnostic mode can be entered by holding the light and temperature buttons down for 3 seconds, but I can't decipher what the numbered tests and result codes are.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kganSB2SWFJkjrNu6 (after defrosting 2 weeks ago)

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

This model does not use a defrost heater for the Fresh Food evaporator coil, just the evaporator fan motor. Do you hear that Fresh Food evaporator fan motor running?

If not: Then pull your refrigerator out from the wall and remove the cover over the main control board, then on the main control board P14-3(YELLOW) and P14-4(RED) are the wires to the R(refrigerator)C(compartment) EVAP FAN MOTOR. If you are getting 12.7 Volts DC then your problem is the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR.

Here's the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR for your model you can order:
Evaporator Fan Motor W11087438

Jake

Attachments

xtapper

Premium Member
Hey Jake, thanks for the help and quick reply! I verified that the evaporator fan is running. I left the panel off from last time I took it apart, so I was able to hear and feel the fan running.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if you leave the panel off frost will tend to build-up more on the evaporator coil.

Put the panel back in place and keep your eye on it and keep listening for the fan motor running, you could have a intermittent fan motor problem.

Jake