MGD9700SB0 Dryer will not start. Moisture sensor?

Jeff1028

Premium Member
Model Number
MGD9700SB0
Brand
Maytag
Our dryer suddenly stopped working (Maytag model MGD9700SB0) the "sensing" light illuminates when the start button is pushed, but nothing happens. Here is what I have done so far:

Taped a piece of foil across the two metal strips located on the lint trap. When I pushed the start button the "wet" light illuminates (rather than "sensing"), but nothing happens.

I have replaced the following parts.

High limit thermostat # WP8573028

Thermostat internal bias switch # WP8577274

Thermal fuse # WP3392519

Also, what appears to be another fuse #WP3406653

I have confirmed that the lint trap (hard ductwork) is not plugged up.

Confirmed that the Radiant flame sensor is working with a multi-meter.

Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm beginning to suspect the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

You had this listed as a GE, its a Maytag.:)

Did you ohm test your door switch?

We've had a few members report door switch problems.

You can ohm test it for continuity with your multimeter to make sure.

Here's that door switch for your model:
Door Switch WPW10318609

It shows on Page 4-6 in your repair manual I posted a link to below how to access it to check/change it. Make sure your dryer is unplugged!

Push the button in on the door switch with one meter probe on COM and the other meter probe on NO and see if it reads.(Should have continuity(0-1 ohm) between white wire and blue wire when switch is pushed in.)

The blue wire is NO and the white wire is COM on the door switch. Make sure your dryer stays unplugged when testing.

Here is the online repair manual for the Whirlpool Duet dryer: https://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/Duetdry.pdf

If the door switch ohm tests good, then ohm test the broken belt switch.

Check the broken belt switch for continuity.

279782 Broken Belt Switch Kit

There is a video in the broken belt switch part link that shows how to access/replace it.

If the door switch and broken belt switch test fine, then your control board is the culprit.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
WP8546219 Control Board

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jeff1028

Premium Member
Thank you so much for your reply! I just tested the door switch and I'm getting 0 ohms with the dryer door closed. Oddly, when I just push the button manually while checking resistance, I don't get anything, but with the door closed it seems to work.

Jeff1028

Premium Member
So I just pulled the circuit board out and it apparently blew something. Do I have to buy a new board or are these repairable?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Jeff, You'd need to buy the new control board, then you'll be back in business.:)

Jake