• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MGDB835DW1 Maytag dryer spins too fast, clothes clumping

Chris21

Premium Member
Model Number
MGDB835DW1
Brand
Maytag
Hello,

I've owned this dryer for almost 6 years (bought new end of 2015) and I've noticed the past couple of months that the clothes are clumping during the cycle and not drying. After watching a cycle I've determined that the drum is spinning too fast and the clothes are not able to turn over and drop as the drum spins, they just cling to the outside of it.

This has never happened before and nothing has changed so not sure why it would start happening now.

Any help is appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I've determined that the drum is spinning too fast ........ not sure why it would start happening now.
I'm not so sure that's what's happening. For the drum to turn faster the motor needs to turn faster and that's not possible. Check if the washer is spinning all the water out of the clothes before they go into the dryer. Check the air flow at the dryer vent. There should be a good amount of air flow. Make sure the holes on the back wall inside the drum are not blocked.

Chris21

Premium Member
I've looked at all those suggestions and none of them are an issue. I also put each piece of clothing in the dryer but itself after I shake it to open it up.

I've done some research and it looks like loss of grooves on the motor pulley can result in the drum spinning faster. People have experienced the same issue I am, and after they replaced the motor pulley the issue was resolved.

Thoughts?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Chris21

Premium Member
Thanks. Do you know of a video showing how to swap it out on my model? I haven't had any luck finding one.