FIXED MGDB850WQ0 Maytag Bravos Mct Dryer not blowing Air - SOLUTION

sxwalsh55

Model Number
MGDB850WQ0
Brand
Maytag
I've had my Maytag Bravos Mct Dryer for about 3 years when the blower on it suddenly quit working. The drum still turned, it still heated up, but no air was coming out of the back and it wasn't drying anything. There were no errors reported by the machine.

I've had it repaired at my own cost twice, and it quit working again both times. Several Google searches have showed me that this is a very common issue with this series of machines, the nut on top of the blower housing un-screws itself, disconnecting it from the motor.

The repair is very simple and it should take no more than 15 minutes with two people, 25 minutes by yourself. There's no heavy lifting involved, anyone can do this. I took a few pictures so I thought I'd post them, hopefully someone will find this useful.

Some of these instructions are pilfered from other threads ... :)

Remove the Front Panel:
1. Unplug the power
2. Open the front door
3. Open the top - It lifts right up like door, you may have push on the retaining clips on the underside of the lid.
4. Disconnect the door switch wires on the right side. You might need a little flathead jeweler's screwdriver to get them apart.
5. Unscrew the two front-panel screws, I circled them in my first picture. These are all that holds the entire front panel and door assembly on, once they're off you can lift the panel straight up and off the machine. That's where we are in the pic:

Front_Off.jpg

And yes, that's the damn belt lying right there. Great huh? This was professionally repaired 11 days ago.

6. Disconnect the moisture sensor on the lower right, similar to the door wires in step 4.
6. Now remove the lint trap.
7. Remove the silver lint trap housing by removing the 4 screws holding it in. Lift away. Should look like this:

IMAG1432.jpg

From here you have a choice, you can continue to remove screws and remove the entire front bulkhead panel, but I don't recommend it. Yes it gives you more room to work with, but it also holds up the entire drum! I felt I had plenty of room to tackle this task, so I won't give those instructions.

8. Find the belt and the nut, they're probably just lying there on that white plastic blower housing. The nut screws onto the post (backwards, it's reverse threaded), and the belt wraps around the nut. You'll see in the last photo. If they're not ... then you might have a different issue. Sorry!
9. Douse the entire post in LockTite (Or thread lock, or whatever your store calls it). Then screw the nut back onto the post.
10. A lot of people seems to have problems putting the belt back onto the nut. I just used a screw driver, watch your fingers, and rolled it back on. And watch the direction! Do it like you see in the last photo. If you put the belt on backwards, not only will it rub on a plastic riser, it'll unscrew the bolt again.

Fixed:
Fixed.jpg

Put it all back together and get back to your chores!

:) Kidding, but I hope this helps someone. Take Care!

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
12393d1378591990-maytag-bravos-mct-dryer-not-blowing-air-solution-fixed.jpg

Neat posting!
Hope you cleaned out all the lint I see in this pic! ;)

jeff.

DMac

Thank you for this post. I used it for my repair. I just want to add a couple of notes. (1) I found that it was not necessary to remove lint filter cover to put the belt back on, (2) I trick for putting the belt back on is to put it on the blower nut first and then put the other end of the belt over the a corner of the nut on the motor ( used the top right corner, facing the motor. Then take an open (or adjustable) end wrench and turn the nut that is on the motor clockwise and the belt will slip right on.

Thanks again to original poster...well done.

churchie73

great post sxwalsh55. i was beyond grateful to find someone had this issue, fixed it, and paved the way for others to do the same. it was a very easy repair thanks to you.

also another bit of help for getting the top lid to lift up. the silver retaining clips are just a couple inches in from the front edges and a small drywall joint knife (putty knife) worked great for pushing and compressing that retaining clip in to let the lid release up. just had to find where it was first. shine a flashlight in the seam an you'll see them on each side.

in doing my repair, i unfortunately had a stripped nut. note, the part for this is actually called a "Motor Pulley" and for this model was part number WP8544739.

thanks again for the repair post and those who contributed.

mark121763

THANK YOU THANK YOU AND THANK YOU AGAIN.... I can imagine how much you just saved me....
Don’t worry about that dude that gigged you on the lint.....

Cheepseets

Premium Member
This is a few years old but I just had the same problem and voila there was the belt and indeed the nut had come off. Thanks for the terrific post. Save me 3k as my wife was already thinking about buying a new washer and dryer. Whew! Thanks again!

Cheepseets

Premium Member
Thank you for this post. I used it for my repair. I just want to add a couple of notes. (1) I found that it was not necessary to remove lint filter cover to put the belt back on, (2) I trick for putting the belt back on is to put it on the blower nut first and then put the other end of the belt over the a corner of the nut on the motor ( used the top right corner, facing the motor. Then take an open (or adjustable) end wrench and turn the nut that is on the motor clockwise and the belt will slip right on.

Thanks again to original poster...well done.
Thanks for tip 2!