FIXED MGDE300VW0-Gas Dryer, no/intermittent heat.

soldsoul4foos

Premium Member
Model Number
MGDE300VW0
Brand
Maytag
Hi, I have a maytag gas dryer. We are having an issue tracking down why it will not heat up. Tonight, we tore apart the back, took a look. Tried it, and it was running and heating. Put it back in place without the back on just to test it after hooking it back up to the vent, and tested a load of clothes. 10 minutes later no heat it just running cold. Checked there is lots of airflow coming out of the vent pipe. The only other clue is that when i turn it on, it always says 'check lint screen' on the knob. I don't remember it saying this every load before. Lint screen is clean too. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Bill

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Take the front bottom access panel off and watch the igniter to see if it turns on and off. If it turns on, then "clicks" off with no visible flame, replace the gas coils on the gas valve.

When the gas coils go bad, it is very common for them to light the flame the first time when you start the dryer, then no more heat at that first time.

Here's the gas coils for your model you can order(there are videos in the part link that show you how to replace them:
Gas Valve Solenoid Coils 279834

Let us know what you find.

Jake

soldsoul4foos

Premium Member
Ok, have much better information. My son is a newly minted hvac tech and took a look. We just ran it, saw the time go up to 57 minutes which I've never known it to do. Then, it dropped over 10 minutes to 1 minute, heat stopped. He checked the part above it wasn't getting voltage, which when the timer says 1 minute left, I'd assume some sort of normal cool down. It seems like it's the humidity/wetness sensor that is the issue. Is there one of those?

Thanks,
Bill

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bill, I asked our tech bigbuck if he has the tech. data sheet for your model, then you can test the moisture sensor to see if its bad.

For now just do TIMED DRY and post the results.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Jake is correct, you can't check the machine on an automatic cycle. Use timed dry about 40 minutes then check the voltage to the gas valve. I had service call with the same issue on the same machine and it took me a while to find it. It turned out to be the thermal fuse. It tested closed until it heated up then it opened. As soon as it cooled down it closed again. That's the first time I've seen a thermal fuse act like that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

I had service call with the same issue on the same machine and it took me a while to find it. It turned out to be the thermal fuse. It tested closed until it heated up then it opened. As soon as it cooled down it closed again. That's the first time I've seen a thermal fuse act like that.
That's interesting Rick, I've never seen a thermal fuse do that before.

Here's the thermal fuse for this model:
WP3392519 Dryer Thermal Fuse

Jake

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I've seen that happen twice and at least twice on this site. Actually it was the post on this site that made me check it and sure enough that was the problem. It's been a few years since then and I couldn't find it on here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Bill, glad to hear the new gas coils fixed it.:)

Yes, thanks for the update as Rick mentioned, we love updates here!

Jake