• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

MH7130XEQ0 Diy fail... cleaning microwave

RoyA

Premium Member
Model Number
MH7130XEQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
My wife pointed out that there were years of "food-yuck" (her word) build up on the Cover (4359505).
Being a good DIY husband, I said I can remove and clean it! Seemed like a quick easy task...

I removed the two small plastic rivets (WP4359508) and removed the Cover for cleaning.
When I did this, the Stir-Fan (8205177) & Holder (4359506) also came off.

The Cover and area inside the microwave (top) were cleaned.
I reinstalled the Cover, Sir Fan, Holder, plastic rivits just as they came off...

Bragged to wife too soon!

When I tested the microwave, almost immediately I smelled something getting hot and then sparks inside the microwave started.
I shut it off immediately.

I again disassembled Stir Fan assembly again and seen where it had been hot/burned from sparks.
I reassembled it again with the same results...

I verified the Stir Fan motor is running.

What am I missing?

Thank you for your assistance!

5 photo's attached

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You were so close. The stirir fan can't hit the cover when it's turning and that's what happened. Wherever it touched it caused an arch. Now you have two problems, both an easy fix.

First you need to "adjust" the fan and/or cover so they dont touch when it's turning. Second, you need to clean the fan where it arched with light sandpaper, both sides, so there's no edges sticking up.

When you're done, if there's a hole in it, put a piece of masking tape over it.

RoyA

Premium Member
Microwave fireworks...

Thank you for your reply!
It's been a busy week and I just had a few minutes to reevaluate the problems with the microwave after reading your suggestions.

The stir-fan is perfectly flat and I can not see that it is touching the top inside when in operation. I cleaned the stir plate with steel-wool and covered the small holes with tape as suggested. The places where the arcing happens has even burned away the paint [see pics]. Thinking maybe with the paint missing, that maybe arcing was taking place because of the close proximity to bare metal, I painted over the bare spots, but still having the same results.

What are the results if we just leave off the stir plate? Uneven heating? Any danger?
Maybe time to replace it, but...

Thank you again.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The stirrer fan distributes the microwaves evenly. You can replace both the stirrer and cover. That should solve the problem.

RoyA

Premium Member
Last try...

One last try before I order parts or purchase new one...

This morning, I cleaned and installed the aluminum stir plate again, insured it was level and no contacting with the frame. I did not install the cover as I wanted to observe it thru the closed door. After about 2 sec, the fireworks started again, but this time on/around the stir-motor plastic shaft. Any idea's Rick? (see pics)

Thank you again for your help and advice.

The stirrer fan distributes the microwaves evenly. You can replace both the stirrer and cover. That should solve the problem.

Attachments

RoyA

Premium Member
Can you provide me with the stir plate & cover cost for this microwave? [MH7130XEQ0]
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Roy,

Rick is out of town today.

The stirrer and cover are No Longer Available for your model.

Happy Microwave Shopping!

Jake